Limits of Complex Functions .... Final Remark from Palka in Section 2.2 ....

In summary, the two questions asked about the function f(x) = e^{-1/x^2}. One question asks how/why $\lim_{x\to0}e^{-1/x^2} = 0$ and the other asks how/why f(z_n) = e^{ 2n \pi i }. Both questions were answered by demonstrating how/why the function behaves as it does.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Bruce P. Palka's book: An Introduction to Complex Function Theory ...

I am focused on Chapter 2: The Rudiments of Plane Topology ...

I need help with some aspects regarding an example in Palka's final remarks in Section 2.2 Limits of Functions ...

Palka's final remarks in Section 2.2 which include the example read as follows:View attachment 7372I have two questions regarding the above text ...Question 1

In the above text from Palka Section 2.2 we read the following:" ... ... Consider for a moment, the function \(\displaystyle f(x) = e^{-1/x^2}\). We are aware from calculus that \(\displaystyle \text{lim}_{x \rightarrow 0} \ f(x) = \text{lim}_{x \rightarrow 0} \ e^{-1/x^2} = 0\). ... ..."Can someone please demonstrate exactly how/why \(\displaystyle \text{lim}_{x \rightarrow 0} \ f(x) = \text{lim}_{x \rightarrow 0} \ e^{-1/x^2} = 0\) ... ... ?Question 2

In the above text from Palka Section 2.2 we read the following:

" ... ... However, if we set \(\displaystyle z_n = (2n \pi)^{-1/2} e^{ \pi i / 4 }\) for \(\displaystyle n = 1,2, \ ... \) , we observe that \(\displaystyle z_n \rightarrow 0\), whereas \(\displaystyle f(z_n) = e^{ 2n \pi i } = 1\) for every \(\displaystyle n\) so \(\displaystyle f( z_n ) \rightarrow 1\). ... ... "I am unable to show that \(\displaystyle f(z_n) = e^{ 2n \pi i }\) ... can someone please help ...Help will be much appreciated ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
Question 1

Can someone please demonstrate exactly how/why \(\displaystyle \text{lim}_{x \rightarrow 0} \ f(x) = \text{lim}_{x \rightarrow 0} \ e^{-1/x^2} = 0\) ... ... ?
Starting from the fact that $e^t \to \infty$ as $t\to\infty$, it follows that $\lim_{t\to\infty}e^{-t} = \lim_{t\to\infty}\dfrac1{e^t} = \dfrac1{\lim_{t\to\infty}e^{t}} = 0.$ If you then put $t = 1/x^2$, noticing that $t\to\infty$ as $x\to0$, it follows that $\lim_{x\to0}e^{-1/x^2} = 0.$

Peter said:
Question 2

In the above text from Palka Section 2.2 we read the following:

" ... ... However, if we set \(\displaystyle z_n = (2n \pi)^{-1/2} e^{ \pi i / 4 }\) for \(\displaystyle n = 1,2, \ ... \) , we observe that \(\displaystyle z_n \rightarrow 0\), whereas \(\displaystyle f(z_n) = e^{ 2n \pi i } = 1\) for every \(\displaystyle n\) so \(\displaystyle f( z_n ) \rightarrow 1\). ... ... "I am unable to show that \(\displaystyle f(z_n) = e^{ 2n \pi i }\) ... can someone please help ...
If \(\displaystyle z_n = (2n \pi)^{-1/2} e^{ \pi i / 4 }\) then \(\displaystyle z_n^2 = (2n \pi)^{-1} e^{ \pi i / 2 }\). But $e^{ \pi i / 2 } = i$. So $z_n^2 = \dfrac i{2n\pi}$, and $\dfrac1{z_n^2} = \dfrac{2n\pi}i = -2n\pi i.$ Finally, \(\displaystyle f(z_n) = e^{-1/z_n^2} = e^{ 2n \pi i } = 1.\)

Opalg said:
Starting from the fact that $e^t \to \infty$ as $t\to\infty$, it follows that $\lim_{t\to\infty}e^{-t} = \lim_{t\to\infty}\dfrac1{e^t} = \dfrac1{\lim_{t\to\infty}e^{t}} = 0.$ If you then put $t = 1/x^2$, noticing that $t\to\infty$ as $x\to0$, it follows that $\lim_{x\to0}e^{-1/x^2} = 0.$If \(\displaystyle z_n = (2n \pi)^{-1/2} e^{ \pi i / 4 }\) then \(\displaystyle z_n^2 = (2n \pi)^{-1} e^{ \pi i / 2 }\). But $e^{ \pi i / 2 } = i$. So $z_n^2 = \dfrac i{2n\pi}$, and $\dfrac1{z_n^2} = \dfrac{2n\pi}i = -2n\pi i.$ Finally, \(\displaystyle f(z_n) = e^{-1/z_n^2} = e^{ 2n \pi i } = 1.\)
Thanks for the help, Opalg ...

Peter

1. What are the limits of complex functions?

The limits of complex functions refer to the behavior of a complex function as it approaches a particular point. This can be thought of as the "end behavior" of the function.

2. How are limits of complex functions calculated?

Limits of complex functions are calculated using the same principles as limits of real functions. This includes using algebraic techniques, substitution, and other methods to evaluate the limit at a given point.

3. Why are limits of complex functions important?

Limits of complex functions are important because they allow us to understand the behavior of a complex function in a precise way. They also help us determine the convergence or divergence of a series or sequence, which is crucial in many areas of mathematics and science.

4. What is the difference between a limit of a real function and a limit of a complex function?

The main difference between a limit of a real function and a limit of a complex function is that the latter involves considering the behavior of the function in both the real and imaginary domains. This adds another layer of complexity to the calculation, but the principles remain the same.

5. Can limits of complex functions have multiple values?

Yes, limits of complex functions can have multiple values. This is because the behavior of a complex function can differ in the real and imaginary domains, leading to multiple possible limits at a given point. However, these values must be consistent and approach each other as the point approaches the limit.