1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Line element under coordinate transformation to get polar form

1. Jun 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello Guys, I am reading Hobson's General Relativity and I have come across an exercise problem, part of which frustrates me:
    3.20 (P. 91)
    In the 2-space with line element
    [itex]ds^2=\frac{dr^{2}+r^{2}d\theta^{2}}{r^{2}-a^{2}}-\frac{r^{2}dr^{2}}{{(r^{2}-a^{2})}^{2}}
    [/itex]

and given [itex]r{\frac{d\theta}{dr}}=tan\phi [/itex]
    show that the space is mapped to a Euclidean plane in which (r, phi) are taken as polar coordinates.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So I attempted to express [itex]d\theta [/itex] as a l.c. of dr and dphi, but I don't know how to handle the [itex]\frac{d\theta}{dr}[/itex] the given relation [itex]r{\frac{d\theta}{dr}}=tan\phi [/itex]

to express the [itex]d\theta[/itex] in given line element in terms of dphi and dr

Thanks for any help =]

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2013 #2
    I can't finished the problem too.

We can write the matrix representation of the metric:
    [itex] g_{\mu\nu} = -\dfrac{a^2}{(r^2-a^2)^2} dr^2 + \dfrac{r^2}{r^2-a^2} d\theta^2 [/itex]

From which we can write the matrix representation and the inverse and use

[itex] \Gamma^a_{bc} = \dfrac{1}{2}g^{af}.... [/itex]

to obtain the following connections:

[itex] \Gamma^r_{rr}=-\dfrac{2r}{r^2-a^2} \; \Gamma^r_{\theta\theta}=-r [/itex]
    [itex] \Gamma^\theta_{r\theta}=\Gamma^\theta_{\theta r}=-\dfrac{a^2}{r(r^2-a^2)}[/itex]

When I go to geodesic eq: [itex] \dfrac{d^2 x^a}{d\lambda^2} + \Gamma^a_{\alpha\beta} \dfrac{dx^\alpha}{d\lambda} \dfrac{dx^\beta}{d\lambda}=0 [/itex]

and substitute I can't find a way to obtain the equation wanted in the problem:
    [itex] a^2 \left(\dfrac{dr}{d\theta}\right)^2 + a^2r^2 = Kr^4 [/itex]
    where K is a constant such if K = 1 then geodesic is null....

Thanks in advance.

4. Sep 2, 2013 #3
    Sorry, forgot to post the second part of the answer.

We can see that the equation [itex] a^2 \left(\dfrac{d^2r}{d\theta^2}\right)^2 + \ldots [/itex] is a line in polar coordinates by substituting directly with [itex] \dfrac{dr}{d\theta}=cotg\phi [/itex].

We obtain something like [itex] cotg\phi + 1 = K\left(\dfrac{r}{a}\right)^2 [/itex]

If we write the equation for line in Cartesian [itex] y = ax + b[/itex] with [itex] a,b [/itex] parameters and make the coordinate change to polar coordinates we get [itex] \dfrac{b}{r} = 1 - acotg\phi [/itex]

We can see the two equations have the same form to error of free parameters [itex]a,b[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted