Line element under coordinate transformation to get polar form

In summary, the student is trying to solve an equation relating d\theta and dr. They are trying to find a line in polar coordinates that solves the equation.
cedricyu803

Homework Statement

Hello Guys, I am reading Hobson's General Relativity and I have come across an exercise problem, part of which frustrates me:
3.20 (P. 91)
In the 2-space with line element
[itex]ds^2=\frac{dr^{2}+r^{2}d\theta^{2}}{r^{2}-a^{2}}-\frac{r^{2}dr^{2}}{{(r^{2}-a^{2})}^{2}}
[/itex]

and given [itex]r{\frac{d\theta}{dr}}=tan\phi [/itex]
show that the space is mapped to a Euclidean plane in which (r, phi) are taken as polar coordinates.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I attempted to express [itex]d\theta [/itex] as a l.c. of dr and dphi, but I don't know how to handle the [itex]\frac{d\theta}{dr}[/itex] the given relation [itex]r{\frac{d\theta}{dr}}=tan\phi [/itex]

to express the [itex]d\theta[/itex] in given line element in terms of dphi and dr

Thanks for any help =]

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't finished the problem too.

We can write the matrix representation of the metric:
[itex] g_{\mu\nu} = -\dfrac{a^2}{(r^2-a^2)^2} dr^2 + \dfrac{r^2}{r^2-a^2} d\theta^2 [/itex]

From which we can write the matrix representation and the inverse and use

[itex] \Gamma^a_{bc} = \dfrac{1}{2}g^{af}... [/itex]

to obtain the following connections:

[itex] \Gamma^r_{rr}=-\dfrac{2r}{r^2-a^2} \; \Gamma^r_{\theta\theta}=-r [/itex]
[itex] \Gamma^\theta_{r\theta}=\Gamma^\theta_{\theta r}=-\dfrac{a^2}{r(r^2-a^2)}[/itex]

When I go to geodesic eq: [itex] \dfrac{d^2 x^a}{d\lambda^2} + \Gamma^a_{\alpha\beta} \dfrac{dx^\alpha}{d\lambda} \dfrac{dx^\beta}{d\lambda}=0 [/itex]

and substitute I can't find a way to obtain the equation wanted in the problem:
[itex] a^2 \left(\dfrac{dr}{d\theta}\right)^2 + a^2r^2 = Kr^4 [/itex]
where K is a constant such if K = 1 then geodesic is null...

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, forgot to post the second part of the answer.

We can see that the equation [itex] a^2 \left(\dfrac{d^2r}{d\theta^2}\right)^2 + \ldots [/itex] is a line in polar coordinates by substituting directly with [itex] \dfrac{dr}{d\theta}=cotg\phi [/itex].

We obtain something like [itex] cotg\phi + 1 = K\left(\dfrac{r}{a}\right)^2 [/itex]

If we write the equation for line in Cartesian [itex] y = ax + b[/itex] with [itex] a,b [/itex] parameters and make the coordinate change to polar coordinates we get [itex] \dfrac{b}{r} = 1 - acotg\phi [/itex]

We can see the two equations have the same form to error of free parameters [itex]a,b[/itex]

1. What is a line element under coordinate transformation?

A line element is a mathematical concept used to measure the length of a curve. It is a vector that represents the infinitesimal displacement along a curve. In the context of coordinate transformations, the line element is used to express the length of a curve in terms of different coordinate systems.

2. How is the line element transformed from Cartesian to polar coordinates?

To transform the line element from Cartesian to polar coordinates, we use the Jacobian matrix. This matrix represents the change of variables from one coordinate system to another. By multiplying the Cartesian line element by the Jacobian matrix, we can obtain the polar line element.

3. What is the formula for the line element in polar coordinates?

The formula for the line element in polar coordinates is dl = √(dr^2 + r^2 dθ^2), where dl is the line element, dr is the infinitesimal change in radius, and dθ is the infinitesimal change in angle.

4. How does the line element change under different coordinate transformations?

The line element changes under different coordinate transformations because different coordinate systems have different ways of measuring distance and angles. The transformation is done using the appropriate Jacobian matrix for the specific transformation.

5. What is the significance of the line element in polar coordinates?

The line element in polar coordinates is significant because it allows us to measure the length of a curve in a coordinate system that is better suited for circular and radial shapes. It is also used in calculus to calculate line integrals and surface integrals in polar coordinates.