Line integral over a given curve C

In summary, the student is trying to solve a line integral problem, but is struggling. They started by changing the problem to parametric form and found that they could use the points given to get an interval for the t values. They then computed the derivative and substituted in.
nmelott

Homework Statement

Evaluate the line integral over the curve http://webwork.math.ttu.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/33/92ca0e3b907f876e5a974ad1457d1f1.png from
7c0c57c09fd2ddefc5e4bd47ccf5351.png
to http://webwork.math.ttu.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/6f/bccf9dd59b9c22450c590a042bb77d1.png .

∫-ydx+3xdy (over the curve C)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really stuck on this problem not doing very well with line integrals.
I started by changing y^2=x to parametric --> x=t^4 y=t^2
Then I took the derivate of each one --> dx=4t^3dt dy=2tdt
I then plugged in each term into the given integral --> ∫-ydx+3xdy (over the curve C) = ∫-(t^2)(4t^3)+3(t^4)(2t)dt

Would I use the points given to get my limits of integration or am I way off?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
nmelott said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the line integral over the curve http://webwork.math.ttu.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/33/92ca0e3b907f876e5a974ad1457d1f1.png from
7c0c57c09fd2ddefc5e4bd47ccf5351.png
to http://webwork.math.ttu.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/6f/bccf9dd59b9c22450c590a042bb77d1.png .

∫-ydx+3xdy (over the curve C)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really stuck on this problem not doing very well with line integrals.
I started by changing y^2=x to parametric --> x=t^4 y=t^2
A simpler set would be x = t2, y = t. You can use the given points on C to figure out the interval for t values.
nmelott said:
Then I took the derivate of each one --> dx=4t^3dt dy=2tdt
I then plugged in each term into the given integral --> ∫-ydx+3xdy (over the curve C) = ∫-(t^2)(4t^3)+3(t^4)(2t)dt

Would I use the points given to get my limits of integration or am I way off?

Last edited by a moderator:
Got it,
Thank you!

You could have just chosen ##x = y^2## and ##y = y## (where ##y## is the parameter). Then you can see that ##1 \leq y \leq 3##.

Then computing ##\frac{dx}{dy} = 2y## will give you ##dx = 2y dy##.

Subbing everything in you should find the same answer.

1. What is a line integral over a given curve C?

A line integral over a given curve C is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the sum of the values of a function along a given curve. It is represented by the symbol ∫C f(x,y) ds, where f(x,y) is the function being integrated and ds represents an infinitesimal element of the curve C.

2. How is a line integral over a given curve C calculated?

A line integral over a given curve C is calculated by breaking the curve into small segments and approximating the integral using the Riemann sum. The smaller the segments are, the more accurate the approximation will be. The line integral can also be evaluated using techniques such as Green's theorem or Stokes' theorem.

3. What is the significance of a line integral over a given curve C in physics?

In physics, a line integral over a given curve C is used to calculate physical quantities such as work, energy, and flux. For example, in electromagnetism, the line integral of the electric field along a closed path gives the total electric flux through that path. In fluid mechanics, it is used to calculate the work done by a force on a moving object along a specific path.

4. How does the direction of the curve C affect the value of the line integral?

The direction of the curve C can affect the value of the line integral. If the curve is traversed in the same direction as the orientation of the curve, the value of the line integral will be positive. However, if the curve is traversed in the opposite direction, the value of the line integral will be negative.

5. Can a line integral over a given curve C be calculated for any type of function?

Yes, a line integral over a given curve C can be calculated for any type of function as long as the function is continuous and differentiable along the curve C. This includes functions of one variable, two variables, or more. However, the techniques used to evaluate the integral may vary depending on the complexity of the function.