1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Linear 1st order PDE (boundary conditions)

1. Feb 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve the equation [tex]u_{x}+2xy^{2}u_{y}=0[/tex] with [tex]u(x,0)=\phi(x)[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    Implicit function theorem
    [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=-\frac{\partial u/\partial x}{\partial u/\partial y}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]-\frac{u_x}{u_y}=\frac{dy}{dx}=2xy^2[/tex]
    Separating variables
    [tex]\frac{dy}{y^2}=2xdx[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{-1}{y}=x^2+c[/tex]
    [tex]C=x^2+\frac{1}{y}[/tex]
    So [tex]u(x,y)=f(x^2+\frac{1}{y})[/tex]
    The boundary condition is given as evaluating at [tex]y=0[/tex] which doesn't seem to make sense. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Wouldn't be boundary condition mean you need to pick an f such that f(u)->0 as u->infinity?

4. Feb 24, 2010 #3
    Since [tex]u(x,y)=f(x^2+\frac{1}{y})[/tex] and [tex]u(x,0)=\phi(x) [/tex],
    we have [tex]u(x,0)=f(x^2+\frac{1}{\epsilon})=\phi(x)[/tex] where [tex]\epsilon\rightarrow 0[/tex]. This would imply that [tex]\lim_{u\rightarrow \infty}f(u)=\phi(x)[/tex]. Then again, that can't be right because the limit as [tex]u\rightarrow \infty[/tex] should not depend on x. I'm not sure if I see why you have "f(u)->0".

5. Feb 24, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have "f(u)->0" because I was reading the boundary condition as u(x,0)=0, not phi(x). My mistake.

6. Feb 24, 2010 #5
    So then if [tex]\phi(x)[/tex] were not a constant, would the question even make sense?

7. Feb 24, 2010 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm having trouble seeing how. But then maybe I'm missing something...

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook