Linear acceleration as a fx of displacement

Once you have that function, you can use it to find velocity as a function of height. To find velocity as a function of time, use the fact that the derivative of x with respect to time is v: v= dx/dt. Again, that is a "separable" differential equation: vdv= a dx= g_0- g' x. Integrate that and you will have v as a function of x. Then use x as a function of time to get v as a function of time.In summary, the problem is to find velocity as a function of distance and time in a physics problem involving acceleration due to gravity. The linear equation a(h) = g - hg' is
Nirck
Hi everyone. I just began my Calculus based physics course 3 weeks ago and I really love it. I've been going ahead of the class though and came across the following problem:

As g, the acceleration due to gravity, is constant for only a limited range of height distances, a better approximation would be the linear equation

a(h) = g - hg'

where h is the distance from the ground and g' is a small constant of proportional dimensions.

My problem is that I now need to derive velocity as a function of distance, and then as a function of time.

I've tried everything I can think of, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around how I can express height as a function of time, or vice versa, without knowing either acceleration as a function of time or velocity as a function of time, but I can't get either of those without knowing one of the other two!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nirck said:
Hi everyone. I just began my Calculus based physics course 3 weeks ago and I really love it. I've been going ahead of the class though and came across the following problem:

As g, the acceleration due to gravity, is constant for only a limited range of height distances, a better approximation would be the linear equation

a(h) = g - hg'

where h is the distance from the ground and g' is a small constant of proportional dimensions.
Actually, a(h)= GM/(h+ R)2 where M is the mass of the earth, R is the radius of the Earth and G is the "universal gravitational constant" but yes, that is a better approximation for a(h) than just a constant.

My problem is that I now need to derive velocity as a function of distance, and then as a function of time.

I've tried everything I can think of, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around how I can express height as a function of time, or vice versa, without knowing either acceleration as a function of time or velocity as a function of time, but I can't get either of those without knowing one of the other two!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
With continuously varying quantities, acceleration is the derivative of v, with respect to time: a= dv/dt. By the chain rule, then a= (dv/dx)(dx/dt)= v(dv/dx). To find the acceleration as a function of height, x, you would need to solve the differential equation v(dv/dx)= g- g' x. That can be "separated' as dv= (g- g'x)dx and integrated directly.

HallsofIvy said:
To find the acceleration as a function of height, x, you would need to solve the differential equation v(dv/dx)= g- g' x. That can be "separated' as dv= (g- g'x)dx and integrated directly.

I was able to get to this point myself, but I'm confused as to where the v goes in this equation. It seems to me that the equation would be v(dv) = (g0 - g'x)(dx), and I don't quite understand how the v(dv) would represent velocity as a function of height...??

Nirck said:
I was able to get to this point myself, but I'm confused as to where the v goes in this equation. It seems to me that the equation would be v(dv) = (g0 - g'x)(dx), and I don't quite understand how the v(dv) would represent velocity as a function of height...??

You integrate, as I said. [tex]\int vdv= \int (g_0- g' x)dx[/tex]. You will get
[tex]\frac{1}{2}v^2= g_0x- \frac{g'}{2}x^2+ C[/itex]. The "C" will depend upon the initial height and velocity.

What is linear acceleration as a function of displacement?

Linear acceleration as a function of displacement is a mathematical relationship that describes how the acceleration of an object changes as it moves along a straight path. This relationship is often represented by a graph, with displacement on the x-axis and acceleration on the y-axis.

How is linear acceleration calculated?

Linear acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

What is the difference between linear acceleration and angular acceleration?

Linear acceleration describes the change in velocity of an object moving along a straight path, while angular acceleration describes the change in angular velocity of an object rotating around a fixed axis. In other words, linear acceleration is a linear motion, while angular acceleration is a rotational motion.

How does displacement affect linear acceleration?

As displacement increases, linear acceleration can either increase or decrease, depending on the direction of motion. If an object is moving in the same direction as its acceleration, then the acceleration will increase as displacement increases. If an object is moving in the opposite direction of its acceleration, then the acceleration will decrease as displacement increases.

What are some real-world examples of linear acceleration as a function of displacement?

Some real-world examples of linear acceleration as a function of displacement include a car accelerating on a straight road, a roller coaster moving along a track, and a person running on a straight path. In all of these cases, the acceleration of the object changes as its displacement changes along a straight path.