1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Acceleration in a Circular Path

1. Oct 28, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A schoolbus travels around a circular path with acceleration a(t)=0.5t m/s/s with t in seconds.
    At some point it has a velocity of 8 m/s.
    What are the magnitudes of its velocity and acceleration when it has travelled a fourth of the circular track from the point at which it had v = 8 m/s?

Radius of the track is 250m

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Using the relation dv=adt,

I integrate both sides, but get confused as to where I should integrate from since the time the bus has a velocity of 8 m/s is not provided. After consideration, I choose:

v initial is 0, v final is 8 and t initial is 0, t final is just t

After integrating, I solve for t to find

t=6.32 at v=10 and v(t)=0.25t^2

then if a fourth of the circle is travelled, the distance travelled is a fourth of the circumference:

then ds=vdt=(0.03t^2)dt
    We integrate again to find distance travelled as a function of t
    integrate ds from 0 to 125*pi and vdt from 6.32 to t, yielding

From this equation, t=17.08 seconds or it will take 17 seconds to travel a fourth of the way around from this point. From here, we can plug into the a(t) and v(t) equations to answer the question.

I think this is right; however, the first time I solved the problem, I integrated the dv=adt expression from 10 to v on the dv side and 0 to t on the adt side to get v(t)=0.25*t^2+10
    I then integrated it again and found the distance as a function of time, solving the time it took to travel from the point at 10 m/s to a point a fourth of the way around the track. What is wrong with this approach?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2007 #2
    Your bounds for your first approach are strange. You are saying that

[tex]\int_{10}^{v(t)} dv = \int_{10}^{t} a dt[/tex]

but you don't know v(10).
  4. Oct 29, 2007 #3
    no, that's not correct.
    first, the acceleration integral is from starting point t=0.
    secondly, the velocity integral is going from 0 to 8 (or as I mistyped it, 10)
  5. Oct 29, 2007 #4
    also, it will take 17-6.32 seconds to travel that 200*pi
  6. Oct 30, 2007 #5
    I don't know if I confused you, or you're confusing me, but your second approach, the first half of your post is right.

For your other method are you saying you wanted to do (?)

[tex]\int_{v(0)}^{v(t)} dv = \int_0^t \frac{1}{2}t dt[/tex]

that is what you did. If I take you literally (what was the typo again?), you are not considering that the bounds have to be the same on both sides of the integral

[tex]\int_{v(t_1)}^{v(t_2)} dv = \int_{t_1}^{t_2} .5 t dt[/tex]

You can't integrate velocity from 0 8, and time from t(2) to t(10). I don't know if this is what were trying to do. On the other hand, you could solve for time when velocity is 8 this way.

[tex]\int_{0}^{8} dv = \int_{t(0)}^{t(8)} .5 t' dt'[/tex]

If this doesn't clear things up, could you reformulate the other method you tried?
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  7. Oct 30, 2007 #6
    I think that's what I did. The confusion is in part because of the 8-10 typo, but also because of the two methods, and the fact that I don't have the capability to make integrals easily. If you know a program that will do this, I'd appreciate it.

The bounds and integrals that I used ended up being:

0 to the final velocity, say 8....integrated dv
    equal to
    t=0 to t=x, x being the unknown time at which v has reached 8 for the integral of adt

this gave me the time it initial took to go from rest to the point it was at v=8,
    at which point i could do the integral of

d to d+125*pi the integral of ds
    equal to
    x to y(y being the time it took to travel 125*pi from the point v=8) the integral of vdt

does this make sense? i'm doing my best to explain the method clearly, but it's hard wihout integral notation here.
  8. Oct 30, 2007 #7
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?