Linear acceleration in a uniform magnetic field due to torque

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the maximum linear acceleration of a square loop in a magnetic field. The hint given by the teacher is to use the equation torque = moment of inertia * angular acceleration, and to find the moment of inertia for each side of the loop and then sum them. The maximum linear acceleration is achieved when the torque is at its maximum, and the question of finding the axis of rotation is raised.
astralboy15
Here the extra credit question I'm stuck on:

A square loop (perimeter of 4L and hinged along one side) is made of a wire that has a mass per unit length of 0.1000 kg/m and carries a current of 5.000 A. A uniform magnetic field of 10.00 mT directed perpendicular to the hinged side exists in the region. Determine the maximum linear acceleration magnitude, (a t) max , of the side of the loop opposite the hinged side.

My Question:
My teacher gave me a hint that torque = I*alpha, where I is the moment of inertia. How do I find the moment of inertia for this box? Then how do I work with angular acceleration to get the answer I'm after?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the axis of rotation of the loop.

To find out I of the loop about this axis, you will need to find out the I's for each side of the loop about the axis and sum them.

[tex]\tau = I \alpha[/tex]

[tex]a = r \alpha[/tex]

You can see that a depends upon the torque and it is max when the torque is max.

When is the torque max?

1. What is linear acceleration in a uniform magnetic field due to torque?

Linear acceleration in a uniform magnetic field due to torque refers to the rate of change in the velocity of an object moving in a straight line in response to a magnetic field that is perpendicular to its motion. This acceleration is caused by the torque, or rotational force, applied to the object by the magnetic field.

2. How is linear acceleration affected by the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field has a direct impact on the magnitude of linear acceleration. The stronger the magnetic field, the greater the torque and therefore the greater the linear acceleration of the object.

3. What is the relationship between linear acceleration and the object's mass and charge?

Linear acceleration is directly proportional to both the mass and charge of the object. This means that an object with a greater mass or charge will experience a greater linear acceleration in a uniform magnetic field due to torque.

4. Can linear acceleration in a uniform magnetic field due to torque be negative?

Yes, linear acceleration can be negative in this scenario. This would occur if the direction of the torque and the direction of the object's motion are opposite to each other, causing the object to slow down or move in the opposite direction.

5. How is the direction of linear acceleration determined in this situation?

The direction of linear acceleration in a uniform magnetic field due to torque is determined by the right-hand rule. This means that if the thumb of your right hand points in the direction of the magnetic field, and your fingers curl in the direction of the object's motion, then the palm of your hand will indicate the direction of the linear acceleration.