1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Linear acceleration in a uniform magnetic field due to torque

1. Jun 19, 2010 #1
    Here the extra credit question I'm stuck on:

A square loop (perimeter of 4L and hinged along one side) is made of a wire that has a mass per unit length of 0.1000 kg/m and carries a current of 5.000 A. A uniform magnetic field of 10.00 mT directed perpendicular to the hinged side exists in the region. Determine the maximum linear acceleration magnitude, (a t) max , of the side of the loop opposite the hinged side.

My Question:
    My teacher gave me a hint that torque = I*alpha, where I is the moment of inertia. How do I find the moment of inertia for this box? Then how do I work with angular acceleration to get the answer I'm after?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2010 #2
    What is the axis of rotation of the loop.

To find out I of the loop about this axis, you will need to find out the I's for each side of the loop about the axis and sum them.

[tex]\tau = I \alpha[/tex]

[tex]a = r \alpha[/tex]

You can see that a depends upon the torque and it is max when the torque is max.

When is the torque max?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook