1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra - Linear Transformation of a polynomial

1. Dec 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [itex]h: \mathbb{P_2} \rightarrow \mathbb{P_2}[/itex] represent the transformation [itex]h(p(x)) = xp'(x) + p(1-x)[/itex] for every polynomial [itex]p(x) \in \mathbb{P_2}[/itex]. Find the matrix of h with respect to the standard basis [itex]\{1, x, x^2\}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

Matrix A of transformation: [itex]{\bf A} = [T(e_1) \hspace{0.5em} T(e_2) \hspace{0.5em} \ldots \hspace{0.5em} T(e_n)][/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let [itex]p(x) = ax^2 + bx + c[/itex] then [itex]p'(x) = 2ax + b[/itex] and [itex]p(1-x) = a(1-x)^2 + b(1 - x) + c = ax^2 - 2ax + a + b - bx + c = ax^2 - 2ax - bx + a + b + c[/itex].

Now we can rewrite [itex]h(p(x)) = xp'(x) + p(1-x)[/itex] as
    [itex]h(p(x)) = x(2ax + b) + ax^2 - 2ax - bx + a + b + c[/itex]

This is as far as I have gotten. I'm guessing that I am supposed to put [itex]h(p(1)) = x(2a + b) + a - 2a - b + a + b + c = 2ax + bx + c[/itex] making the first column of h's matrix [itex]\left[ \begin{array}{c} c \\ 2a + b \\ 0 \end{array} \right] [/itex]. Process is repeated for [itex]h(p(x))[/itex] and [itex]h(p(x^2))[/itex]

Am I on the right track?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think you are making a mistake in doing the "abstract" calculation of p(1-x). You are specifically asked to use the "standard" matrix, 1, x, [itex]x^2[/itex].

If p(x)= 1, then p'(x)= 0 and p(1- x)= 1. T(p)= xp'(x)+ p(1- x)= x(0)+ 1= 1.

If p(x)= x, then p'(x)= 1 and p(1- x)= 1- x. T(p)= x(1)+ 1- x= 2- x.

If [itex]p(x)= x^2[/itex], then [itex]p'(x)= 2x[/itex] and [itex]p(1- x)= 1- 2x+ x^2[/itex]. [itex]T(p)= x(2x)+ 1- 2x+ x^2= 3x^2- 2x+ 1[/itex].

4. Dec 5, 2011 #3
    I see. Thank you for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook