Linear Algebra reflection question

In summary, the conversation discusses a linear transformation T from R^2 to R^2 that first reflects points through the y-axis and then rotates them counterclockwise by pi/2 radians. The goal is to find the standard matrix of T and there is a discussion about the correct form of the matrix and how to input specific points into it.
Perrry
Hi this is my first post here. So be nice now o:) I´ve have a problem with a question:

[tex]T:\mathbb{R}^2\rightarrow\mathbb{R}^2 [/tex] first reflects points through the vertical x2-axis and then rotates points [tex]\pi[/tex]/2 radians./Perrry

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the question?

Perrry said:
Hi this is my first post here. So be nice now o:) I´ve have a problem with a question:

[tex]T:\mathbb{R}^2\rightarrow\mathbb{R}^2 [/tex] first reflects points through the vertical x2-axis and then rotates points [tex]\pi[/tex]/2 radians.

/Perrry

What does 'x2-axis' mean? You mean like the y-axis in an orthogonal x-y coordinate system? What is your direction of rotation? Do you have to write the operator T in matrix form? State your question more clear, please.

Okay sorry my english isn´t that good. I missed some trival parts...

T is a linear tranformation. And i shall find the standard matrix of T. The x2 axis is the Y-axis. And the rotation should be counterclockwise.

//Perrry

To illustrate the problem, place a point T1 somewhere in the x-y coordinate system. Then follow the rules and get T1' and T1''. T1'' represents the point you get after the operator T is applied. So, write a matrix equation of form T1 T = T1'', whete T is your linear operator, which is a 2x2 matrix. Solve the equation, and you should get the elements of T.

Okay. The first matrix that reflects the points through the y-axis is [tex]
\left[
\begin{array}{cc}
-1 & 0\\
0 & 1
\end{array}
\right]
[/tex]

and then the matrix that rotate them counterclockwise is [tex] \left[ \begin{array}{cc}
0 & -1\\
1 & 0
\end{array}
\right]
[/tex]

I should write them in a matrix that first reflects the points through the x-axis and then rotate them pi/2. Could i just write:

[tex]T= \left[ \begin{array}{cc}
-1 & 0\\
0 & 1
\end{array}
\right]
[/tex] [tex] \left[ \begin{array}{cc}
0 & -1\\
1 & 0
\end{array}
\right]
[/tex]

Is the matrix finished there? And could i just put in the points (x,y) into the matrix?

Or could i write?:[tex]T= \left[ \begin{array}{c}
-x \\
y
\end{array}
\right]
[/tex] [tex] \left[ \begin{array}{cc}
0 & -1\\
1 & 0
\end{array}
\right]
[/tex]

And then put in the x,y if i had the values. Have patience guys I´m a newbie at this...

//Perrry

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations, vectors, matrices, and their operations. It is used to solve real-world problems such as designing computer graphics, analyzing data, and building machine learning models.

2. What is a reflection in Linear Algebra?

In Linear Algebra, a reflection is a transformation that flips a point, line, or shape over a fixed line. It is also known as a mirror transformation since it reflects the original image over the given line.

3. How is a reflection represented in Linear Algebra?

A reflection in Linear Algebra can be represented by a reflection matrix. This matrix has 1's along the main diagonal and -1's along the off-diagonal, with respect to the line of reflection. It can also be represented using vector notation, where the vector represents the direction of the line of reflection.

4. What are the properties of a reflection in Linear Algebra?

There are several properties of a reflection in Linear Algebra, including:

• A reflection is an isometry, meaning it preserves distances between points.
  • A reflection is its own inverse, meaning reflecting twice over the same line will result in the original shape.
  • The determinant of the reflection matrix is always -1.
  • A reflection is an orthogonal transformation, meaning it preserves angles between lines or vectors.

5. How is a reflection used in real-world applications?

Reflections in Linear Algebra are used in various real-world applications, such as:

• In computer graphics, reflections are used to create realistic images and animations by simulating light reflecting off different surfaces.
  • In physics, reflections are used to study the behavior of waves, such as sound waves and electromagnetic waves.
  • In machine learning, reflections are used to transform data in order to improve the performance of algorithms.