Linear algebra - Rotations in R3

In summary, R_1 (x) rotates the projection of x in the y-z plane, while R_2 (x) and R_3 (x) change the y and z components, leaving the x component unchanged.
SpiffyEh

Homework Statement

Given,

R_1(x) =
[ 1 0 0
0 cos(x) -sin(x)
0 sin(x) cos(x)]

R_2(x) =
[cos(x) 0 -sin(x)
0 1 0
sin(x) 0 cos(x)]

R_3(x) =
[cos(x) -sin(x) 0
sin(x) cos(x) 0
0 0 1]

Describe the transformations defined by each of these matrices on vectors in R3.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to describe these or even go about figuring it out. Can someone explain to me how to do one of them or at least guide me through the process. Then I can attempt the rest please?

Physics news on Phys.org
You might start by applying these transformations on some vector to see what happens. To decrease confusion, I would use t as the parameter in all three transformations, instead of x.

For R_1, the x-coordinate of an input vector will be unchanged, so it seems to me that the rotation is entirely in the y-z plane. Test this by choosing a value of t such as pi/2, and seeing what happens to <1, 1, 1>

Mark44 said:
You might start by applying these transformations on some vector to see what happens. To decrease confusion, I would use t as the parameter in all three transformations, instead of x.

For R_1, the x-coordinate of an input vector will be unchanged, so it seems to me that the rotation is entirely in the y-z plane. Test this by choosing a value of t such as pi/2, and seeing what happens to <1, 1, 1>

doesn't it just change the y component? If i multiply i get <1, -1, 1>

No, the first transformation actually changes the y and z components, and leaves the x component unchanged. You need a vector with different components to see the change.

oh ok, when i tested it with <1,2,3> i ended up with <1,-3,2> so it seems like its just flipping the y and z components and negating the y. I'm not exactly sure what this means in the yz-plane, I don't think that would be enough to say

What it means is that R_1(x) rotates the projection of x in the y-z plane.

Mark44 said:
What it means is that R_1(x) rotates the projection of x in the y-z plane.

Can i say that it is rotated clockwise? Because if i graph it seems to go clockwise

Yes, I believe that is correct, as long as it's clear what clockwise means. In three dimensions "clockwise" doesn't have much meaning, but if you state the the projection of x in the y-z plane is being rotated clockwise, then that's clear.

ok, that makes sense. I understand how to go about doing the other two now. Thank you so much for all the help. It actually makes sense now

1. What is a rotation in R3?

A rotation in R3 is a transformation that moves points and objects in three-dimensional space around a fixed point called the origin. It changes the orientation of an object without changing its size or shape.

2. How is a rotation represented in linear algebra?

A rotation in R3 can be represented using a rotation matrix, which is a square matrix that describes the transformation of coordinates caused by the rotation. It is a 3x3 matrix that contains trigonometric functions and can be multiplied with a vector to rotate it.

3. What are the properties of rotation matrices?

Rotation matrices are orthogonal, meaning that their columns and rows are perpendicular to each other. They also have a determinant of 1, which means they do not change the volume of a shape. Lastly, rotation matrices are invertible, meaning they can be reversed to return the object to its original position.

4. How do rotations in R3 affect vectors and coordinates?

Rotations in R3 affect vectors and coordinates by changing their direction and orientation. The magnitude or length of the vector remains unchanged, but its direction relative to the axes is altered. This change can be described using the rotation matrix.

5. What are some applications of rotations in R3?

Rotations in R3 have many practical applications, including computer graphics, robotics, and physics. They are used to animate 3D objects, orient sensors and cameras, and model the movement of rigid bodies. Rotations in R3 are also important in quantum mechanics and electromagnetism.