1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra - Use angles between vectors to find other vectors

1. Feb 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find all the unit vectors X element of R^3 that make an angle of pi/4 radians with vector Y = (1,0,1) and an angle of pi/3 radians with vector Z = (0,1,0)

2. Relevant equations

For any two vectors X and Y element of R^n, the dot-prodict of X and Y is equals to the length of X times the length of Y times the cosine of the angle between X and Y. That is:

X*Y = cos(t)|x||y|

3. The attempt at a solution

let X = ([itex]x_{1}[/itex],[itex]x_{2}[/itex],[itex]x_{3}[/itex])

We need X*Y = cos([itex]\pi[/itex]/4) |x| |y|
    and X*Z = cos([itex]\pi[/itex]/3)|x||z|

We want the length of X, that is |x|, to be 1 so I'll assume that it is 1 for now (this could be a bad idea).

X*Y= [itex]x_{1}[/itex] + [itex]x_{3}[/itex] = srt(2)/2 * sqrt(2) = 1
    X*Z = [itex]x_{2}[/itex] = 1/2 * sqrt(2) = sqrt(2)/2

Solving for [itex]x_{1}[/itex] and [itex]x_{2}[/itex] in terms of [itex]x_{3}[/itex] we get:

X = (1, 1/2, 0) + [itex]x_{3}[/itex](-1, 0, 1)

Problem: X is not a unit vector for all [itex]x_{3}[/itex], so we haven't really found a formula for "all unit vectors" which fulfill the initial requirements. This is where I'm stuck! I thought about including another variable for |x| in the restrictions and adding a further restriction that [itex]x_{1}[/itex]^2 + [itex]x_{2}[/itex]^2 + [itex]x_{3}[/itex]^2 = 1, but I'm not sure how to handle such a nonlinear constraint!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Why is there a factor of ##\sqrt{2}## in the equation for ##\vec{x}\cdot\vec{z}##?

4. Feb 3, 2012 #3
    Apologies! That sqrt(2) should be a 1 (the length of Z). I copied that sqrt(2) from the memory of another similar problem I was working on. I'll edit the original post!

This doesn't, however fundamentally change things. The question still remains.

5. Feb 3, 2012 #4
    Apparently, I can't edit the original post, so I'll re-write it here:

3. The attempt at a solution

let X = ([itex]x_{1}[/itex],[itex]x_{2}[/itex],[itex]x_{3}[/itex])

We need X*Y = cos([itex]\pi[/itex]/4) |x| |y|
    and X*Z = cos([itex]\pi[/itex]/3)|x||z|

We want the length of X, that is |x|, to be 1 so I'll assume that it is 1 for now (this could be a bad idea).

X*Y= [itex]x_{1}[/itex] + [itex]x_{3}[/itex] = srt(2)/2 * sqrt(2) = 1
    X*Z = [itex]x_{2}[/itex] = 1/2 * 1 = 1/2

Solving for [itex]x_{1}[/itex] and [itex]x_{2}[/itex] in terms of [itex]x_{3}[/itex] we get:

X = (1, 1/2, 0) + [itex]x_{3}[/itex](-1, 0, 1)

Problem: X is not a unit vector for all [itex]x_{3}[/itex], so we haven't really found a formula for "all unit vectors" which fulfill the initial requirements. This is where I'm stuck! I thought about including another variable for |x| in the restrictions and adding a further restriction that [itex]x_{1}[/itex]^2 + [itex]x_{2}[/itex]^2 + [itex]x_{3}[/itex]^2 = 1, but I'm not sure how to handle such a nonlinear constraint!

6. Feb 3, 2012 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You just need to find the value or values of x3 for which X has unit length. Solve the equation X2=1 for x3.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook