1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra: Vector Basis (change of)

1. Apr 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given one known orthonormal basis S in terms of the standard basis U, how would I express a third basis T in terms of U when I know its representation in S?

For example, U consists of

And S consists of (for example)
    <0.36, 0.48, -0.8>
    <-0.8, 0.6, 0>
    <0.48, 0.64, 0.6>

(Note all colums and rows have unit magnitude and are orthogonal)

The values of S are in x, y, and z components of U.

Now I want T in terms of U, when I know that in terms of S it is
    <1, 0, 0>
    <0, -1, 0>
    <0, 0, -1>

I'd like to arrive at a general solution, i.e. one that works for any T (so long as it's orthonormal).

2. Relevant equations

(sorry I don't know Latex)

Point (in frame A) = (BtoA)RotationMatrix * Point (in frame B)

3. The attempt at a solution

These bases I'm talking about are components of rigid-body frames, so each of them has an "origin", which is transformed through elementwise linear combination. (i.e. the origin of S is Sx, Sy, Sz, so add (0, 0, 0) to (Sx, Sy, Sz). Similarly, T has origin (Tx, Ty, Tz), which means that its origin in terms of U is (0+Sx+Tx, 0+Sy+Ty, 0+Sz+Tz).

That is fine and good for purely translated frames, but I need now to consider rotations. T and S share the same X-direction, but the Z (hence Y to maintain right-handedness) directions are inverted.

I know I can define a rotation matrix to map a single point from one frame to another (I even know how to use the 4x4 general transformation matrix to get translation&rotation in one shot) but that's not quite the problem I'm facing (I think).

What I would like to do is express a direction&orientation that I know in one orthonormal basis (T known in S) in another (T unknown in U but S known in U).

btw, this isn't a homework problem but I feel this forum is the most likely to generate a solution. So it's possible the problem statement needs work.

Thanks for your input!
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2010 #2
    Here's me answering my own question...

The components of a vector V in the standard basis U can be interpreted as the projections of that vector onto the basis unit vectors. All I need to do is project the same vector onto those vectors representing S (in terms of U), and extract the corresponding components.

I brought the problem into R^2 to solve, so for example I have a vector V = <-2,1> in terms of U. Projecting <-2, 1> onto <1, 0> and <0, 1>, I get <-2, 0> and <0, 1>, respectively.

Now if S is in terms of U, (i.e. the x-prime axis is some arbitrary unit vector in U, and y-prime is right-orthogonal to it) all I need to do is project V = <-2, 1> onto x-prime and y-prime. Now I have the same vector described in two coordinate systems.

The best thing is that I'm only using the projection "operator", which is easily extended to R^3. No need to "change the basis".
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook