1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algera ?Dependent Rows?

1. Feb 19, 2012 #1
    If the rows of A are linearly dependent, are the rows of AB also linearly dependent? Justify answer.

I don't completely understand this question because (so far) my instructor and my text book has not discussed what it means for rows to be linearly dependent. There is a similar question in my text book that asked "if the columns of B are linearly dependent, show that the columns of AB are also."

Does this have something to with transverses? Can I just think about it the same way I have been with columns or does "row" dependencs mean something different?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2012 #2
    (AB)T = BTAT, so yes, they're more or less the same problem.

Vectors v1, …, vn are linearly independent if k1v1 + … + knvn = 0 (the zero vector) implies the scalars ki must be equal to 0.

They are linearly dependent if one of the vectors can be written as a linear combination of the others (or is contained in their span). This is equivalent to saying they're not linearly independent.

(Sorry for the multiple edits, a bit rusty.)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  4. Feb 19, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In particular, the rows of matrix A are linearly independent if and only if A is invertible. But then [itex]A^T[/itex] is also invertible and its rows are A's columns.

5. Feb 19, 2012 #4
    This is true only for square matrices. I believe the question is asking about matrices in more generality.

I would write the components of a row vector in AB in terms of the dot products of a row vector in A and column vectors in B. Which row vector in AB can be written as a linear combination of the other row vectors in AB?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook