Linear Algebra: Parametric Solution Set

In summary: To get a (column) matrix, use either "\pmatrix{..your matrix..}" or "\ begin{bmatrix} ... your matrix ...\ end{bmatrix}" Your matrix has the form "a1 \\ a2 \\ a \\ ..." in either case, so that "\\" ends one row and/or starts another. Hi, you’re totally right! I didn’t know how use the text editor in P.F. to write a matrix so I attempted to write out the equations. The matrix is given in vector parametric form in the picture I attached. Sorry for the
Ty Ellison

Homework Statement

[/B]
Suppose the solution set of some system Ax = b , Where A is a 4x3 matrix, is

*Bold characters are vectors*

x_1
= 1 + 3t
x_2 = 2 - t
x_3 = 3 + 2t

where t is a parameter and can be any number.

a) How many pivots are in the row echelon form of A?

b) Let u, v, w be the columns of A. Do they span the whole R^4? Explain.

c) Is u, v, w a linearly independent set? Explain.

d) Produce a linear relation for u, v, w. ( Hint: what is the solution of the system Ax = 0 ?)​

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My original attempt I tried to solve for the parameter t in hopes that this would give me a coefficient matrix for x that I could substitute in the equation for x but I could not make this work. I also realized that the solution set is linearly dependent as one of the rows can be expressed as linear combinations of the other rows but I don't know if this is significant information for this problem.

My secondary attempt was to consider a system where the solution set in the form listed above was b, then A would be a 4x3 identity matrix. I then multiplied each side of the equation by the 4x3 Identity matrix but multiplying the equation by 1 was not leading me to the next path, and thus now I sit here in utter confusion trying to make sense of this problem and is making me question my confidence in my other solutions on the assignment :sorry:.

Note: I am having trouble mainly with formulating an expression or method to solve Part A, but I feel with a few minor hints after formulating Part A I can handle the question. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• Math 152-A.1Q.3.JPG
    Math 152-A.1Q.3.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 571
Physics news on Phys.org
Ty Ellison said:

Homework Statement

[/B]

x_1
= 1 + 3t
x_2 = 2 - t
x_3 = 3 + 2t

where t is a parameter and can be any number.

a) How many pivots are in the row echelon form of A?

b) Let u, v, w be the columns of A. Do they span the whole R^4? Explain.

c) Is u, v, w a linearly independent set? Explain.

d) Produce a linear relation for u, v, w. ( Hint: what is the solution of the system Ax = 0 ?)​

Homework Equations

My original attempt I tried to solve for the parameter t in hopes that this would give me a coefficient matrix for x that I could substitute in the equation for x but I could not make this work. I also realized that the solution set is linearly dependent as one of the rows can be expressed as linear combinations of the other rows but I don't know if this is significant information for this problem.

My secondary attempt was to consider a system where the solution set in the form listed above was b, then A would be a 4x3 identity matrix. I then multiplied each side of the equation by the 4x3 Identity matrix but multiplying the equation by 1 was not leading me to the next path, and thus now I sit here in utter confusion trying to make sense of this problem and is making me question my confidence in my other solutions on the assignment :sorry:.

Note: I am having trouble mainly with formulating an expression or method to solve Part A, but I feel with a few minor hints after formulating Part A I can handle the question. Thanks for the help!

Your three equations make no sense. You say that "bold characters are vectors", then write ##\mathbf{x}_1 = 1+3t##, etc. You have a vector on the left and a scalar on the right.

Likes Ty Ellison
Hi, you’re totally right! I didn’t know how use the text editor in P.F. to write a matrix so I attempted to write out the equations. The matrix is given in vector parametric form in the picture I attached. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the help!

Ty Ellison said:
Hi, you’re totally right! I didn’t know how use the text editor in P.F. to write a matrix so I attempted to write out the equations. The matrix is given in vector parametric form in the picture I attached. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the help!
To get a (column) vector, use either "\pmatrix{..your vector..}" or "\ begin{bmatrix} ... your vector ...\ end{bmatrix}" Your vector has the form "a1 \\ a2 \\ a \\ ..." in either case, so that "\\" ends one row and/or starts another. (Remove the space between the "\" and the word "begin" or "end"; I inserted them just to keep the typsetter from going crazy.) Note that in the first form the whole vector is inside curly brackets "{ }" but not in the second one.
These give:
$$\mathbf{x} = \pmatrix{a_1 \\a_2\\a_3} \; \Leftarrow \; \text{first form}$$
and
$$ \mathbf{x} = \begin{bmatrix} a_1 \\ a_2 \\ a_3 \end{bmatrix} \; \Leftarrow \; \text{second form} $$
The choice is yours.

Right-click on the formula and ask for display math as tex commands to see the actual typed forms.

Alternatively, you could have said that "##x_1, x_2, x_3## are the three components of the vector ##\mathbf{x}##"; then what you wrote would make perfect sense.

Likes Ty Ellison
Ray Vickson said:
To get a (column) vector, use either "\pmatrix{..your vector..}" or "\ begin{bmatrix} ... your vector ...\ end{bmatrix}" Your vector has the form "a1 \\ a2 \\ a \\ ..." in either case, so that "\\" ends one row and/or starts another. (Remove the space between the "\" and the word "begin" or "end"; I inserted them just to keep the typsetter from going crazy.) Note that in the first form the whole vector is inside curly brackets "{ }" but not in the second one.
These give:
$$\mathbf{x} = \pmatrix{a_1 \\a_2\\a_3} \; \Leftarrow \; \text{first form}$$
and
$$ \mathbf{x} = \begin{bmatrix} a_1 \\ a_2 \\ a_3 \end{bmatrix} \; \Leftarrow \; \text{second form} $$
The choice is yours.

Right-click on the formula and ask for display math as tex commands to see the actual typed forms.

Alternatively, you could have said that "##x_1, x_2, x_3## are the three components of the vector ##\mathbf{x}##"; then what you wrote would make perfect sense.
Thank you, I will try retyping the question asap!

Ty Ellison said:

Homework Statement

[/B]

x_1
= 1 + 3t
x_2 = 2 - t
x_3 = 3 + 2t

where t is a parameter and can be any number.​
Below is a snip from the image referenced by your thumbnail. In my opinion the only significant problem with your notation above was to bold face for the components of the x vector.
upload_2018-1-31_16-9-36.png

Now let's look at your second attempt at a solution:

My original attempt ...

You also included this in your image:
upload_2018-1-31_16-7-37.png

Notice that ##\ A\, \vec x \ ## results from multiplying a 4×3 matrix by a 3×1 vector so your result should have a dimension of 4×1, not 3×1 .

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-31_16-7-37.png
    upload_2018-1-31_16-7-37.png
    11.4 KB · Views: 462
  • upload_2018-1-31_16-9-36.png
    upload_2018-1-31_16-9-36.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 526
Likes Ty Ellison

1. What is a parametric solution set in Linear Algebra?

A parametric solution set in Linear Algebra is a set of all possible solutions to a system of linear equations, expressed in terms of one or more variables. These variables are known as parameters and their values can be chosen arbitrarily to generate different solutions to the system.

2. How is a parametric solution set represented in Linear Algebra?

A parametric solution set is typically represented using vector notation, where the values of the parameters are written as components of a vector. For example, the solution set (x, y, z) = (1 + t, 2 - t, 3 + 2t) would be written as a vector [1+t, 2-t, 3+2t].

3. What is the relationship between a parametric solution set and a system of linear equations?

A parametric solution set represents all possible solutions to a system of linear equations. It is a more general way of expressing the solutions, as it allows for the inclusion of parameters that can take on multiple values. This can be useful for finding a specific solution or for representing a family of solutions.

4. How is a parametric solution set obtained in Linear Algebra?

A parametric solution set is obtained by solving a system of linear equations and expressing the solutions in terms of parameters. This is typically done by using elimination or substitution methods to reduce the system to a simpler form and then solving for the variables in terms of the parameters.

5. What are some applications of parametric solution sets in Linear Algebra?

Parametric solution sets are used in a variety of applications, such as in computer graphics, robotics, and economics. They can also be used to find the intersection of geometric objects, such as lines and planes, and to analyze the behavior of systems of differential equations.