Linear Algerbra Equation help Thanks

In summary, the conversation is about solving for x in a linear algebra equation and the steps involved in solving it. It includes understanding how to add and subtract decimals properly and using multiplication to simplify the equation.
GladToLearn
Linear Algerbra Equation help :) Thanks

Homework Statement

Problem 20. Solve for x :
1.25x − 6 = x

1.25x −x = 6

(1.25 − 1)x = 6 On combining the like terms
on the left.
.25 x = 6

x = 24. On multiplying both sides
by 4.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well i know x = 24. but how does 1.25 0- 1 = .25? how do i get 24x? why do i multiply both sides and why did i multiply them by 4?

My attempt
Problem 20. Solve for x :
1.25x − 6 = x

(1.25-x)
(1.25-1(x) = 6
1.24x = 6
(1.24 = 6 is 1.24 x 6 so i divide right?)
20.0x(rounded the nearest 10th..i think)

20.0x = x
x = 20.0x

Physics news on Phys.org

1.25x - 1x = ? (it's not 1.24)

This is not Linear Algebra or Physics...

I don't understand how you got 1.24 from 1.25 - 1 = 0.25??

put 1.25 - 1 into your calculator and you will see that 1.25 - 1 = .25

The OP's problem is he didn't learn how to add and subtract decimals properly in grade school. The OP is ignoring the decimal in 1.25 and is making the subtraction as if it were a multiplication instead, where you do the multiplication on the numbers first and then insert the decimal afterwards.

The OP says: 1.25 - 1 is the same as 125 - 1 = 124 and then places the decimal as original: 124 becomes 1.24 just like
1.25 * 2 is the same as 125 * 2 = 250, put in the decimal and 1.25 * 2 = 2.50

What is a linear algebra equation?

A linear algebra equation is an equation that contains variables and constants, and follows the rules of linear algebra. These equations can be written in the form of y = mx + b, where m represents the slope and b represents the y-intercept.

How do I solve a linear algebra equation?

To solve a linear algebra equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. This can be done by using algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Once the variable is isolated, you can solve for its value.

What is the difference between a linear and non-linear equation?

A linear equation is an equation in which the variables have a degree of 1, meaning they are raised to the first power. A non-linear equation, on the other hand, can have variables raised to any power, resulting in a curve rather than a straight line when graphed.

Can I graph a linear algebra equation?

Yes, linear algebra equations can be graphed on a coordinate plane. The slope represents the steepness of the line, and the y-intercept represents the point where the line crosses the y-axis. By plotting these two points and connecting them with a straight line, you can graph a linear equation.

What are some real-life applications of linear algebra equations?

Linear algebra equations have many real-life applications, including in physics, engineering, economics, and computer graphics. These equations can be used to model and solve problems involving rates of change, optimization, and data analysis.