Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear combination of linear combinations?

1. Jan 25, 2013 #1
    When the book says "Members of [] are linear combinations of linear combinations of members of S". basically means the span of the members in subspace S. Since
    = {c1s1 +... + cnsn|c1...cnεR and s1...snεS} what does [] mean? does it mean a linear combination of atleast one linear or more linear combinations from ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2013 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Let V be a finite-dimensional vector space. For all subsets S⊂V, is the set of all v in V such that v is equal to a linear combination of members of S. Since that makes a subset of V, the definition applies to as well. So [] is the set of all v in V such that v is equal to a linear combination of members of .

It's possible to prove that if E,F⊂V, the following statements are equivalent (i.e. they're either all true or all false).

(a) E is the set of all v in V such that v is a linear combination of members of F.
    (b) E is the intersection of all subspaces that have F as a subset.
    (c) E is the smallest subspace that has F as a subset. (This means that if E' is a subspace that has F as a subset, E⊂E').

A set E for which these statements are true is, in your notation, denoted by [F]. If you only look at (a), it's not obvious that []=, but if you look at the other two statements, it is.

Two alternative notations for : span S, ##\bigvee S##.

4. Jan 26, 2013 #3
    Yeah I forgot to mention []=. But the book states that [] is a linear combination of linear combinations of the members of . Does this let's say set R={c1,1s1+...+cn,1sn,...,c1,m s1+...+cn,m sn} which is the set of all linear combinations of . And [] just means taking a linear combination of those members in R such as
    r1(c1,1s1+...+cnsn)+...+rn(c1,m s1+...+c n,m sn) ? Oh s1,...sn. are elements of S and S is a subspace of V

5. Jan 26, 2013 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I thought that was what you were asking about, not something you already knew.

You mean "of S", right? (Not "of ").

What does that mean? And did you again mean S when you wrote ?

I don't understand what you're asking, but the meaning of [] is given by the definition of the [] notation.

Maybe you meant to ask this: If we define R=, does that make []=[R]? The answer is of course yes. The [[]] notation isn't something entirely different from the [] notation. It's just the [] operation done twice.

It doesn't have to be.

I recommend that you start using LaTeX, or at least vBulletin's sup and sub tags. (Like this: E=mc2).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook