1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Combinations in 2-space

1. Jan 16, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In the xy-plane mark all nine of these linear combinations:

## α \lbrack 2, 1 \rbrack + β \lbrack 0, 1 \rbrack## with c = 0, 1, 2 and d = 0, 1, 2

2. Relevant equations

ANSWER:

The nine combinations will lie on a lattice. If we took all whole numbers c and d, the lattice would
    lie over the whole plane.

3. The attempt at a solution

I think my biggest problem in this, is not actually knowing what the question is asking.

I've tried plotting the linear combinations of me filling in α and β with the numbers listed for c & d.

1. ## 0 \lbrack 2, 1 \rbrack + 0\lbrack 0, 1 \rbrack ## yields, ## \lbrack 0, 0 \rbrack ##

2. ## 1 \lbrack 2, 1 \rbrack + 1\lbrack 0, 1 \rbrack ## yields, ## \lbrack 2, 2 \rbrack ##

3. ## 2 \lbrack 2, 1 \rbrack + 2\lbrack 0, 1 \rbrack ## yields, ## \lbrack 4, 4 \rbrack ##

I'm not sure where they are getting 9 linear combinations, but I'm pretty sure I'm misunderstanding the instructions of the problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2016 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Hint: ##3 \times 3 = 9##

4. Jan 16, 2016 #3
    Okay, so the only thing I could think of using that hint would be that I can do other permutations of the c = 0, 1, 2 and d = 0, 1, 2?

So maybe do 1 and 0, or 2 and 1, etc?

5. Jan 16, 2016 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Seems like it shoud be "with α = 0, 1, and 2, and β = 0, 1, and 2"

BTW, it's much simpler to just use the [ and ] characters than typing lbrack and rbrack in LaTeX.

6. Jan 16, 2016 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Each choice of c (really ##\alpha##) can be paired with one of three possible d (really ##\beta##) values. How many combinations of the two does that make?

7. Jan 16, 2016 #6
    Yeah, that's what I was getting at. I didn't know if the points could be interchanged, but I guess there isn't really any reason why they couldn't be.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted