1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear degree of freedom - Equipartition theorem

1. Nov 26, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a classical 'degree of freedom' that is linear rather than quadratic: E = c|q| for some constant c. Derive the equipartition theorem using this energy and show that the average energy is Ebar = kT.

2. Relevant equations

[itex] Z = \sum e^{-\beta E(q)} = \sum e^{-\beta c|q|} [/itex]

[itex] Z = \frac{1}{\Delta q} \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} e^{-\beta c |q|}dq [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    The question seems straight forward, but I'm having a hard time grasping it.

Using the second equation, If I carry out that integral I get:

[itex] \frac{1}{\Delta q} \frac {-1}{\beta c} \left [ e^{-\beta cq} \right ]_{-\infty}^{+\infty} = 0 [/itex]

Which doesn't help at all. I'm not sure if there is a trick to the integral or I have to use another method.

Any help will be much appreciated.

PS. This is coursework but not a homework question. I am just doing this question to study for a test.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2011 #2
    it works if you go from zero to infinity on the bounds. and not -inf to +inf.
    then use the formula <E>=-1/Z(dz/dB)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook