1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Integration of a Vector Field over a Parametric Path

1. Mar 22, 2012 #1
    Problem statement attached. The correct way to do this seems to plug in your given x, y, z into F then integrate the dot product of F and <x',y',z'> dp from 0 to 1, however, this results in way too messy of an integral. Answer is 3/e.

<e^-(sin(pi*p/2))-((1-e^p)/(1-e))e^-(ln(1+p)/ln(2)),e^-((1-e^p)/(1-e))-(ln(1+p)/ln(2))e^-(sin(pi*p/2)),e^-(ln(1+p)/ln(2))-(sin(pi*p/2))e^-((1-e^p)/(1-e))>.<2^(x-1)ln(2),2/(pi*sqrt(1-y^2),(e-1)/((e-1)y+1)>

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It would be awfully nice if the vector field F were a gradient of some scalar function, wouldn't it? Can you guess one that works?

4. Mar 23, 2012 #3
    Okay so I figured this out, but I had to read into the next chapter to do so. This is from Div, Grad, Curl, which really should be called Div, Curl, Grad. Why would Schey ask this problem before you get to gradient and how would he expect you to find it otherwise? Can anyone think of another possible path to solving this? I mean it's certainly possible that someone would realize the F.t ds = [itex]\psi[/itex], but I imagine even for a quite brilliant person that would take some time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook