• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Linear Integration of a Vector Field over a Parametric Path

• Thread starter sriracha
  • Start date
Problem statement attached. The correct way to do this seems to plug in your given x, y, z into F then integrate the dot product of F and <x',y',z'> dp from 0 to 1, however, this results in way too messy of an integral. Answer is 3/e.

<e^-(sin(pi*p/2))-((1-e^p)/(1-e))e^-(ln(1+p)/ln(2)),e^-((1-e^p)/(1-e))-(ln(1+p)/ln(2))e^-(sin(pi*p/2)),e^-(ln(1+p)/ln(2))-(sin(pi*p/2))e^-((1-e^p)/(1-e))>.<2^(x-1)ln(2),2/(pi*sqrt(1-y^2),(e-1)/((e-1)y+1)>

Attachments

Dick

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Problem statement attached. The correct way to do this seems to plug in your given x, y, z into F then integrate the dot product of F and <x',y',z'> dp from 0 to 1, however, this results in way too messy of an integral. Answer is 3/e.

<e^-(sin(pi*p/2))-((1-e^p)/(1-e))e^-(ln(1+p)/ln(2)),e^-((1-e^p)/(1-e))-(ln(1+p)/ln(2))e^-(sin(pi*p/2)),e^-(ln(1+p)/ln(2))-(sin(pi*p/2))e^-((1-e^p)/(1-e))>.<2^(x-1)ln(2),2/(pi*sqrt(1-y^2),(e-1)/((e-1)y+1)>
It would be awfully nice if the vector field F were a gradient of some scalar function, wouldn't it? Can you guess one that works?

Okay so I figured this out, but I had to read into the next chapter to do so. This is from Div, Grad, Curl, which really should be called Div, Curl, Grad. Why would Schey ask this problem before you get to gradient and how would he expect you to find it otherwise? Can anyone think of another possible path to solving this? I mean it's certainly possible that someone would realize the F.t ds = [itex]\psi[/itex], but I imagine even for a quite brilliant person that would take some time.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving