1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Momentum - Checking quick questions

1. Mar 16, 2007 #1
    What is the SI unit of momentum? --> N x s

When a light beach ball rolling with a speed of 6.0 m/s collides with a heavy exercise ball at rest, the beach ball's speed after the collision will be, approximately? --> 6.0 m/s

In an inelastic collision, if momentum is conserved, then which of the following statements is true about kinetic energy? --> Kinetic energy is lost.

Which of the following is an accurate statement?
    The momentum of a projectile is constant. <---
    The momentum of a moving object is constant.
    If an object is acted on by a non-zero net external force, its momentum will not remain constant.
    If the kinetic energy of an object is doubled, its momentum will also be doubled.

A 4.0 N force acts for 3.0 s on an object. The force suddenly increases to 15N and acts for one more second. What impulse was imparted by these forces on the object? --> 16.3 N·s

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2007 #2
    I can't figure out how to find the impulse without mass...
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  4. Mar 16, 2007 #3
    1 and 2 are correct.

For #3, the answer is a bit ambiguous. All KE need not be lost.

#4 - Wrong. Hint: Newton's 1st law.

#5 - How did you get 19? What's the definition of impulse?
  5. Mar 16, 2007 #4
    For #3:
    If an object is acted on by a non-zero net external force, its momentum will not remain constant.
    This seems to comply with the 1st law.
  6. Mar 16, 2007 #5
    Impulse is what changes the momentum of an object.. right?
  7. Mar 16, 2007 #6
    Don't worry about it, I'll ask the teacher.

8. Mar 16, 2007 #7
    Right. So is a projectile free of non-zero net external forces?

Well, not exactly. Force is what changes momentum. Impulse is change in momentum(in a certain time interval).

[tex]J = F\Delta t = \Delta p[/tex], for a constant force F. J is impulse, btw.
  9. Mar 16, 2007 #8
    Now you tell me! :grumpy: :biggrin:
  10. Jan 19, 2011 #9
    i just cant comprehend getting the impulse without mass.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?