Linear motion: a runner with two accelerations: 1 constant other not

In summary: So the equation that needs solving is a=v2/(22v-200).For this problem, the starting velocity is 12 m/s and the final velocity is 22 m/s. So the equation to solve is a=2.25 m/s2.
Genecks

Homework Statement

Problem 3.7 Suppose that motion studies of a runner show that the maximum speed he
can maintain for a period of about 10 s is 12 m/s. If in a 100-m dash this runner
accelerates with constant acceleration until he reaches this maximum speed and then
maintains this speed for the rest of the race, what acceleration will he require if his total
time is 11 s?

Homework Equations

a = v2/(22v - 200)

The Attempt at a Solution

a = 2.25 m/s2

I've read through the solution. What I don't understand stand, however, is why v here would be the 12 m/s value. Sure, that's the velocity given, but how and why should I know to use 12 m/s? Why do I plug that into the relevant equation? I could say, sure, because it's the only velocity value given, but why that particular value?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well,
Acceleration is based on how much velocity needs to be attained. Velocity itself is determined as distance/time. So either you need to plug in the velocity or the date and time to arrive at an acceleration value!

He reaches the maximum velocity in time t1 with acceleration a. He covers the remaining distance in time (t - t1) with maximum velocity.
Use the time velocity graph to find the total displacement.
S = 1/2*t1vMax + vmax*(t - t1).
t and vmax is given. Find t1 ,and hence find acceleration.

linear motion: a runner with two accelerations: 1 constant other not

In case it's not obvious the title is wrong..

The runner first accelerates and then continues at constant velocity.

Last edited:
Genecks said:
I've read through the solution. What I don't understand stand, however, is why v here would be the 12 m/s value. Sure, that's the velocity given, but how and why should I know to use 12 m/s? Why do I plug that into the relevant equation? I could say, sure, because it's the only velocity value given, but why that particular value?

Well first assume he's trying to win so he will run at max velocity for as long as possible. It's reasonable to assume that will be done at the end of the race.

So in effect you are being asked to work out how fast he has to accelerate to reach a max velocity. That max velocity is bound to figure in the equations somewhere!

The equations of motion normally need the starting velocity (normally U) and the final velocity (normally V). In this case U=0. V=12m/s.

1. What is linear motion?

Linear motion refers to the movement of an object in a straight line, without any change in direction.

2. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It can be positive (speeding up) or negative (slowing down).

3. What is a runner with two accelerations?

A runner with two accelerations refers to a situation where a runner experiences two different rates of acceleration during their motion. This can happen when the runner changes their speed or direction during the race.

4. What does it mean for one acceleration to be constant and the other not?

If one acceleration is constant, it means that the rate of change of the runner's velocity remains the same throughout their motion. However, if the other acceleration is not constant, it means that the rate of change of the runner's velocity changes at different points during their motion.

5. How can we calculate the total distance traveled by a runner with two accelerations?

To calculate the total distance traveled, we can use the formula: distance = initial velocity x time + 1/2 x acceleration x time^2 for each segment of the runner's motion. We can then add up the distances for each segment to get the total distance traveled.