Linear Polarisability interesting problem

In summary, linear polarisability is the amplitude of the electric field induced in a molecule in a specific direction due to an applied unit amplitude field in another direction. This can be extended to higher order terms such as \beta_{ijk} and \gamma_{ijkl}, which describe the non-linear dependence of polarization on the applied electric field. These terms involve products of the electric fields rather than sums. The indices in these terms may not be distinct and describe the direction of the applied field.
DanSandberg
Linear Polarisability [tex] \alpha_{ij} [/tex] is the amplitude of the electric field induced in the molecule in the i direction given a unit amplitude field in the j direction, hence

[tex] E_i^{induced} = \alpha_{ij} E_j^{incident} [/tex]
(observing summation convention)

Extending this physical interpretation, [tex] \beta_{ijk} [/tex] (X2) is the amplitude of the electric field induced in the i direction given an unit incident field in the j direction applied after unit incident field in the k direction has already been applied, so

[tex] E_i^{induced} = \beta_{ijk} E_j^{incident2} E_k^{indicent1} [/tex]

But there is a third-order term (and fourth-order and fifth-order, etc.) so what do the indices represent in these cases?

Also, there is only one applied (indicent) field so what does it mean to say "the incident field in the j direction" compared to "the incident field in the k direction"?

Physics news on Phys.org

DanSandberg said:
Also, there is only one applied (indicent) field so what does it mean to say "the incident field in the j direction" compared to "the incident field in the k direction"?

You just take components in j and k directions from the same incident electric field. I'm not sure about the right "physical picture" concerning [tex]\beta_{ijk}[/tex].

weejee said:
You just take components in j and k directions from the same incident electric field. I'm not sure about the right "physical picture" concerning [tex]\beta_{ijk}[/tex].

I think you are correct about me being wrong. For example, the third-order term is a fourth-rank tensor. So... in that case its [tex]\gamma[/tex]ijkl. If my picture were right then the ith direction induced electric field would be the result of the incident field in jth, kth and lth directions but now we've got too many dimensions, unless two letters are degenerative in some way.

Can anyone help me sort this out?

I just want to remark that the polarisability determines not the induced field as a function of the external field but the polarisation as a function of the total field. The total field being the sum of the external and the induced field and the polarization in general not being equal to the induced field but (up to maybe some constants depending on the system of Maxwell equations chosen) [tex]P(x,t)=-\int_{-\infty}^t dt' j_{ind}(x,t')[/tex].

Indices in [tex]\beta_{ijk}[/tex] or [tex]\gamma_{ijkl}[/tex] are not necessarily all distinct. We can of course think of something like [tex]\gamma_{xxxx}[/tex].

weejee said:
Indices in [tex]\beta_{ijk}[/tex] or [tex]\gamma_{ijkl}[/tex] are not necessarily all distinct. We can of course think of something like [tex]\gamma_{xxxx}[/tex].

OKAY! okay. But my question is, what is the SIGNIFICANCE of [tex]\gamma_{xxxx}[/tex]

So by my earlier (and likely incorrect) attempt to explain it, this would be the constant of proportionality between the incident electric field and the polarizability of the molecule for the third-order interaction, where

P(t)x1 = gammax1x2x3x4} (Ex2(t)+Ex3(t)+Ex4(t))

where the polarizability along direction x1 is a function of the incident field in directions x2, x3, and x4

where x1=x2=x3=x4

is this correct?

No, it's not the sum but the product of the fields. beta and gamma describe a non-linear dependence of polarization on the field. If the field is linearly polarized, let's say in x direction,
then
[tex]P_i=\alpha_{ix}E_x+\beta_{ixx}E_x^2. [/tex]

DrDu said:
No, it's not the sum but the product of the fields. beta and gamma describe a non-linear dependence of polarization on the field. If the field is linearly polarized, let's say in x direction,
then
[tex]P_i=\alpha_{ix}E_x+\beta_{ixx}E_x^2. [/tex]

Okay - I understand now. Thank you very much for your patience with me.

1. What is linear polarisability and why is it an interesting problem?

Linear polarisability is a measure of how easily a material can be polarized in the presence of an electric field. It is an interesting problem because it can provide insight into the electronic and molecular structure of a material, and has applications in fields such as optics, electronics, and materials science.

2. How is linear polarisability calculated?

Linear polarisability is calculated by dividing the induced dipole moment of a material by the applied electric field strength. It is expressed in units of volume, such as cubic meters per volt (m3/V).

3. What factors affect the linear polarisability of a material?

The linear polarisability of a material can be affected by its molecular structure, electronic configuration, and intermolecular forces. Additionally, factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities can also influence the polarisability.

4. How is linear polarisability experimentally measured?

Linear polarisability can be measured experimentally by applying an electric field to a sample and measuring the resulting induced dipole moment. This can be done using techniques such as polarimetry, ellipsometry, or dielectric spectroscopy.

5. What are some real-world applications of linear polarisability?

Linear polarisability has many practical applications, such as in the design of optical materials for lenses, filters, and displays. It is also used in the development of new electronic devices, such as transistors and capacitors. Additionally, the study of polarisability can provide information about the properties of molecules and can aid in drug discovery and materials design.