Linear Proof, don't know how to start it

In summary, if x is an eigenvector of A belonging to an eigenvalue lambda, then x is also an eigenvector of B belonging to an eigenvalue mu, where mu=1-2*lambda+lambda^2.
Dustinsfl
Let A be nxn and let [tex]B=I-2A+A^2[/tex].
Show that if [tex]\mathbf{x}[/tex] is an eigenvector of A belonging to an eigenvalue [tex]\lambda[/tex] of A, then [tex]\mathbf{x}[/tex] is also an eigenvector of B belonging to an eigenvalue [tex]\mu[/tex] of B. How are [tex]\lambda[/tex] and [tex]\mu[/tex] related?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well... what happens if you act 1 - 2A + A^2 on x?

nicksauce said:
Well... what happens if you act 1 - 2A + A^2 on x?

I don't know what you mean by that.

You want to show that x is an eigenvector B, meaning that for some constant u, Bx = ux.
Thus you need to calculate Bx = (1 -2A + A^2)x = x - 2Ax + A^2x. Can you simplify that further now?

[tex]B\mathbf{x}=\mathbf{x}-2A\mathbf{x}+A^2\mathbf{x}=\mathbf{x}-2\lambda\mathbf{x}+A(\lambda\mathbf{x})=\mu\mathbf{x}[/tex]

?

Evaluate A(lambda*x), please?

Dick said:
Evaluate A(lambda*x), please?

[tex]B\mathbf{x}=\mathbf{x}-2A\mathbf{x}+A^2\mathbf{x}=\mathbf{x}-2\lambda\mathbf{x}+A(\lambda\mathbf{x})=\mathbf{x}-2\lambda\mathbf{x}+(\lambda)^2\mathbf{x}=\mu[/tex]

Last edited:
Then do the quadratic equation or factor which ever is appropriate?

Dustinsfl said:
Then do the quadratic equation or factor which ever is appropriate?

You don't have to do much of anything. Just factor x out and say how Bx is related to mu*x.

Should I just solve for mu then by multiplying by 1/x?

Dustinsfl said:
Should I just solve for mu then by multiplying by 1/x?

No, there's no such thing as 1/x if x is a vector. That's exactly the wrong answer. Just look at x-2*lambda*x+lambda^2*x=mu*x=Bx and tell me what mu is.

So [tex]\mu=I-2\lambda+A\lambda[/tex].

Dustinsfl said:
So [tex]\mu=I-2\lambda+A\lambda[/tex].

mu is a scalar. It's a number. It's not a matrix. It's an EIGENVALUE. Try that again. You were almost there. Now you are going backwards.

Dick said:
mu is a scalar. It's a number. It's not a matrix. It's an EIGENVALUE. Try that again. You were almost there. Now you are going backwards.

[tex]\mu=1-2\lambda+A\lambda[/tex]

But there is still A

The A is there because once upon a time I asked you to evaluate A(lambda*x). And you did it right. And then you forgot. Why did you do that? That's why I feel things are going backwards.

Dustinsfl said:
[tex]B\mathbf{x}=\mathbf{x}-2A\mathbf{x}+A^2\mathbf{x}=\mathbf{x}-2\lambda\mathbf{x}+A(\lambda\mathbf{x})=\mathbf{x}-2\lambda\mathbf{x}+(\lambda)^2=\mu\mathbf{x}[/tex]

I did. I just decide not use it apparently.

Dustinsfl said:
I did. I just decide not use it apparently.

Ok, so 1-2*lambda+lambda^2=mu. Right? I so very hope you agree with this.

I concur.

1. What is a linear proof?

A linear proof is a method of proving a mathematical statement by listing each step of the proof in a logical order, from the initial assumptions to the final conclusion. This type of proof is often used in geometry and algebra.

2. How do I know where to start a linear proof?

The first step in a linear proof is to identify the given information or assumptions. From there, you can use deductive reasoning to determine the next logical step and continue the proof from there.

3. What are some common strategies for solving linear proofs?

Some common strategies for solving linear proofs include using algebraic properties and theorems, breaking down the problem into smaller parts, and working backwards from the desired conclusion.

4. Can I use diagrams or illustrations in a linear proof?

Yes, diagrams and illustrations can be helpful in visualizing the problem and identifying patterns or relationships. However, they should not be used as a substitute for a written proof.

5. Are there any tips for writing a clear and concise linear proof?

To write a clear and concise linear proof, make sure to use proper mathematical notation, clearly state each step of the proof, and explain your reasoning at each step. You should also double check your work for any errors and make sure your conclusion logically follows from your previous steps.