Linear transformation and polynomial function

In summary: For the "determine" part, you can use the standard basis for Pn, which is {1, x, x^2, ..., x^n}, to find a basis for the image of I. To find the matrix M, you can use the basis for Pn and Pn+1 mentioned in the problem.
ak123456

Homework Statement

from calculus we know that ,for any polynomial function f : R-R of degree <= n,the fuction of I(f) :R-R ,s----[tex]\int[/tex]f(u) du is a polynomial function of degree <=n+1
show that the map I: Pn--Pn+1 , f--I(f) is an injective linear transformation, determine a basis of the image of I and find the matrix M[tex]\in[/tex]M(n+2)*(n+1)(R) that represents I with respect to the basis 1,t,...t^n of Pn and the basis 1,t,...t^(n+1) of Pn+1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

can i use L(x+y)=L(x)+L(y) aL(x)=L(ax) to show linear transformation ? but for what value i can choose for x, y
for ''determine ...'' part i have no idea for it ,any help ?

Physics news on Phys.org
ak123456 said:

Homework Statement

from calculus we know that ,for any polynomial function f : R-R of degree <= n,the fuction of I(f) :R-R ,s----[tex]\int[/tex]f(u) du is a polynomial function of degree <=n+1
show that the map I: Pn--Pn+1 , f--I(f) is an injective linear transformation, determine a basis of the image of I and find the matrix M[tex]\in[/tex]M(n+2)*(n+1)(R) that represents I with respect to the basis 1,t,...t^n of Pn and the basis 1,t,...t^(n+1) of Pn+1

The Attempt at a Solution

can i use L(x+y)=L(x)+L(y) aL(x)=L(ax) to show linear transformation ?
No, you can't use these -- you have to show that they hold for this transformation. For x and y, use polynomial functions of degree <= n. For example, you could let f(x) = anxn + an-1xn-1 + an-2xn-2 + ... + a1x + a0, and g(x) = bnxn + bn-1xn-1 + bn-2xn-2 + ... + b1x + b0.
Then show that L(f + g) = L(f) + L(g) and that aL(f) = L(ax).

ak123456 said:
but for what value i can choose for x, y
for ''determine ...'' part i have no idea for it ,any help ?

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another in a way that preserves the basic structure of the space. In simpler terms, it is a function that takes in a set of coordinates and outputs a new set of coordinates in a linear fashion.

2. How is a linear transformation different from a polynomial function?

A linear transformation is a function that operates on vectors, while a polynomial function operates on scalar values. This means that a linear transformation will result in a new vector, while a polynomial function will result in a single value.

3. Can a polynomial function be considered a linear transformation?

No, a polynomial function cannot be considered a linear transformation because it does not preserve the structure of the vector space. A linear transformation must satisfy certain properties, such as preserving addition and scalar multiplication, which a polynomial function does not.

4. What is the degree of a polynomial function?

The degree of a polynomial function is the highest exponent of the variable in the function. For example, in the function f(x) = 3x^2 + 5x + 2, the degree is 2.

5. How are linear transformations and polynomial functions used in real-world applications?

Linear transformations and polynomial functions are used in a variety of fields, such as physics, economics, and engineering. They are used to model and predict real-world phenomena, such as the motion of objects, economic trends, and signal processing. They are also used in computer graphics and image processing to manipulate and transform shapes and images.