1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Transformation to Shrinking/Expand along a given direction

1. Dec 24, 2007 #1
    Assuming that shrinking/expanding in a given direction is a linear transformation in [itex]R^3[/itex], what would be the matrix to perform it?

To be more precise, given a vector

[tex]e=\left(\begin{array}{c}e_1\\e_2\\e_3\end{array}\right)[/tex]

with a length of 1, i.e. [tex]||e||=1[/tex] and a factor [itex]\lambda[/itex], I am looking for a matrix [itex]A[/itex] such that for every vector x the vector [itex]y=A\cdot[/itex]x has a projection on e that is longer than the projection of x by the factor [itex]\lambda[/itex], while all sizes orthogonal to e are kept unchanged.

I came up with a matrix [itex]A[/itex] that contains squares and products of the [itex]e_i[/itex] and, worse, would contain complex numbers for [itex]\lambda<1[/itex]. I expected something simpler? Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Harald.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A fairly standard way of writing a linear transformation as a matrix is to see what it does to each of your basis vectors. The coefficients of the basis vectors when the result of applying the transformation to [itex]\vec{i}[/itex] is written as a linear combination of the basis vectors are the first column, etc. In this case, applying this linear transformation to [itex]\vec{i}[/itex] is the projection of [itex]\vec{i}[/itex] on [itex]\vec{e}[/itex] multiplied by [itex]\lambda[/itex].

In particular, since [itex][e_1, e_2, e_]3][/itex] has length 1, the projection of [itex]\vec{i}[/itex] on it is [itex][e_1^2, e_1e_2,e_1e3][/itex], the projection of [itex]\vec{j}[/itex] is [itex][e_1e_2, e_2^2, e_2e_3][/itex], and the projection of [itex]\vek{k}[/itex] is [itex][e_1e_3, e_2e_3, e_3^2][/itex]. The matrix is
    [tex]\left[\begin{array}{ccc} \lambda e_1^2 & \lambda e_1e_2 & \lambda e_1e_3 \\ \lambda e_1e_2 & \lambda e_2^2 & \lambda e_2e_3 \\ \lambda e_1e_3 & \lambda e_2e_3 & \lambda e_3^2 \end{array}\right][/tex]

If you have only squares and products, as my formula does, I don't see how you could possibly get complex numbers!

4. Dec 24, 2007 #3
    Something is missing in your matrix, it seems. Try e=(1,0,0). The matrix will have just [itex]\lambda[/itex] in the top left corner. Now apply to vector (1,1,1). The result is [itex](\lambda,0,0)[/itex], so the coordinates orthogonal to e are not kept but killed.-(

Harald.

5. Dec 24, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your right- I just calculated the projection onto [itex][e_1, e_2, e_3][/itex]. I'll try again. The vector [1, 0, 0] has projection [itex][e_1^2, e_1e_2,e_1e3][/itex] onto [itex][e_1, e_2, e_3][/itex] and orthogonal projection [itex][e_1^2-1, e_1e_2,e_1e3][/itex] so your transformation maps [1, 0, 0] to [itex][(\lambda-1)e_1^2- 1, (\lambda-1)e_1e_2, (\lambda-1)e_1e_3)[/itex] and similarly for the [0, 1, 0] and [0, 0, 1].

Unless I have made another silly error (quite possible) the matrix is:
    [tex]\left[\begin{array}{ccc} (\lambda-1)e_1^2-1 & (\lambda-1)e_1_e2 & (\lambda-1)e_1e_3 \\ (\lambda-1)e_1e_2 & (\lambda-1)e_2^2- 1 &(\lambda-1)e_2e_3 \\(\lambda-1)e_1e_3 & (\lambda-1)e_2e_3 & (\lambda-1)e_3^2-1\end{array}\right][/tex]

6. Dec 25, 2007 #5
    Great, thanks. I thought I made a mistake, because I hoped for something simpler.

The reason why I was talking about complex numbers was that I started from a vector [itex]k[/itex] which, in your notation, would now be [itex]k=\sqrt{\lambda-1}\cdot e[/itex]. This vector formally combines the direction e and the shrink/expand factor [itex]\lambda[/itex]. Obviously the square root wil go complex for [itex]\lambda<1[/itex]. But of course the complex numbers disappear again in the matrix itself.

The matrix can be written as [itex]k\cdot k^T-1_{diag}[/itex] --- Not that this tells me anything interesting, though:-)

Seasons Greetings,
    Harald.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?