1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear transformations and orthogonal basis

1. Mar 22, 2006 #1
    Let {E1,E2,...En} be an orthogonal basis of Rn. Given k, 1<=k<=n, define Pk: Rn -> Rn by [itex] P_{k} (r_{1} E_{1} + ... + r_{n} E_{n}) = r_{k} E_{k}. [/itex] Show that [itex] P_{k} = proj_{U} () [/itex] where U = span {Ek}

well [tex] \mbox{proj}_{U} \vec{m}= \sum_{i} \frac{ m \bullet u_{i}}{||u_{i}||^2} \vec{u}
    [/tex]
    right?
    here we have Pk transforming linear combination of the orthogonal basis into rk Ek same index as the subscript of P

would it turn into
    [tex] \mbox{proj}_{U} \vec{m}= \frac{ m \bullet E_{1}}{||E_{1}||^2}\vec{E_{1}} + ... + \frac{ m \bullet E_{n}}{||E_{n}||^2}\vec{E_{n}} [/tex]
    and the whole stuff in front of each Ei can be interpreted as the Ri, a scalar multiple yes?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2006 #2

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

You can approach it with fewer symbols by simply noting that the orthogonal projection of a vector is the unique vector that is orthogonal to (the vector minus the projection fo the vector). That is, iff v is a vector and u is its orthogonal projection onto some subspace U, then (v - u) . u = 0, and u is in U.

4. Apr 6, 2006 #3
    why is u = 0???

5. Apr 6, 2006 #4
    u is not 0
    (v-u).u is 0 (i.e., v-u is orthogonal to u)

6. Apr 6, 2006 #5
    ok so (v-u).u = 0
    but how does this equal to the Pk?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?