1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear velocity of a spring with mass

1. Dec 20, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

why does the velocity of an small spring element will be in linear proportion to the distance from the fixed end?

2. Relevant equations

v(x)=[itex]\frac{x}{l}[/itex]V[itex]_{0}[/itex]

Thank you very much,
    Tomer

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2011 #2
    I would like to add my attemp (although its probably way too far from the right direction):

the general force equation for any coordinate of a mass spring with mass M attached to it is (I think):
    L - lenght of loose spring
    z[itex]_{0}[/itex] - the lenght from the fixed wall
    Z - the coordinate of the small mass element.
    m- mass of the spring
    M - mass attached to the spring

(M+m([itex]\frac{L-z_{0}}{L}[/itex]))[itex]\ddot{Z}[/itex]=-[itex]\frac{L}{z_{0}}[/itex]k(Z-z[itex]_{0}[/itex])

if z[itex]_{0}[/itex] will be L then the equation will be the "normal" equation for mass M attached to a fixed spring.

from this differential equation i've got the general velocity depends on z[itex]_{0}[/itex].
    as you can see, this is probably not the right way to approach this question - way too complicated..

thanks, again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook