1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linearising the Geodesic Deviation Equation

1. Nov 24, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Write down the Newtonian approximation to the geodesic deviation equation for a family of geodesics. ##V^\mu## is the particle 4-velocity and ##Y^\mu## is the deviation vector.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]
    D = V^\mu\nabla_\mu \\
    V^\mu\approx(1,0,0,0) \\
    g_{\mu\nu}=\eta_{\mu\nu}+h_{\mu\nu}
    [/tex]

The geodesic deviation equation and the desired linearisation are
    [tex]
    D^2 Y^\mu = R^\mu{}_{\rho\lambda\nu} \\
    \partial_t^2 Y^i = -\partial_i\partial_j\phi Y^j
    [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Apologies if this is not the correct way to post in this subforum, but I'm not going to write up all of what I have so far as I don't think it's relevant to my question. My issue is with the left hand side, which with the approximation for the 4-velocity becomes
    [itex]
    D^2 Y^\mu = V^\mu\nabla_\mu V^\nu\nabla_\nu Y^\mu = \nabla_t^2 Y^\mu
    [/itex]
    Everywhere I have looked, the next step is to replace this by ##\partial_t^2 Y^\mu##, but I don't follow this logic. As far as I can see, the covariant and partial derivatives differ by Christoffel symbols containing terms O(h), which should enter into the linearisation. What am I missing? Is Y also O(h)?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2014 #2

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That equation [itex]D^2 Y^\mu = R^\mu{}_{\rho\lambda\nu}[/itex] can't possibly be right, because the left-hand side has only one index, [itex]\mu[/itex], while the right side has indices [itex]\mu, \rho, \lambda, \nu[/itex]. I think it's supposed to be something like:

[itex]D^2 Y^\mu = R^\mu{}_{\rho\lambda\nu} V^\rho V^\lambda Y^\nu[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted