Linearising the Geodesic Deviation Equation

But I'm not sure about that.In summary, the Newtonian approximation to the geodesic deviation equation for a family of geodesics involves using the covariant derivative D and the particle 4-velocity V^\mu. The equation D^2 Y^\mu = R^\mu{}_{\rho\lambda\nu} is the desired linearisation, but it may not be correct due to mismatched indices.
Xander314

Homework Statement

Write down the Newtonian approximation to the geodesic deviation equation for a family of geodesics. ##V^\mu## is the particle 4-velocity and ##Y^\mu## is the deviation vector.

Homework Equations

[tex]
D = V^\mu\nabla_\mu \\
V^\mu\approx(1,0,0,0) \\
g_{\mu\nu}=\eta_{\mu\nu}+h_{\mu\nu}
[/tex][/B]
The geodesic deviation equation and the desired linearisation are
[tex]
D^2 Y^\mu = R^\mu{}_{\rho\lambda\nu} \\
\partial_t^2 Y^i = -\partial_i\partial_j\phi Y^j
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Apologies if this is not the correct way to post in this subforum, but I'm not going to write up all of what I have so far as I don't think it's relevant to my question. My issue is with the left hand side, which with the approximation for the 4-velocity becomes
[itex]
D^2 Y^\mu = V^\mu\nabla_\mu V^\nu\nabla_\nu Y^\mu = \nabla_t^2 Y^\mu
[/itex]
Everywhere I have looked, the next step is to replace this by ##\partial_t^2 Y^\mu##, but I don't follow this logic. As far as I can see, the covariant and partial derivatives differ by Christoffel symbols containing terms O(h), which should enter into the linearisation. What am I missing? Is Y also O(h)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Xander314 said:

Homework Statement

Write down the Newtonian approximation to the geodesic deviation equation for a family of geodesics. ##V^\mu## is the particle 4-velocity and ##Y^\mu## is the deviation vector.

Homework Equations

[tex]
D = V^\mu\nabla_\mu \\
V^\mu\approx(1,0,0,0) \\
g_{\mu\nu}=\eta_{\mu\nu}+h_{\mu\nu}
[/tex][/B]
The geodesic deviation equation and the desired linearisation are
[tex]
D^2 Y^\mu = R^\mu{}_{\rho\lambda\nu} \\
\partial_t^2 Y^i = -\partial_i\partial_j\phi Y^j
[/tex]

That equation [itex]D^2 Y^\mu = R^\mu{}_{\rho\lambda\nu}[/itex] can't possibly be right, because the left-hand side has only one index, [itex]\mu[/itex], while the right side has indices [itex]\mu, \rho, \lambda, \nu[/itex]. I think it's supposed to be something like:

[itex]D^2 Y^\mu = R^\mu{}_{\rho\lambda\nu} V^\rho V^\lambda Y^\nu[/itex]

1. What is the Geodesic Deviation Equation?

The Geodesic Deviation Equation is a mathematical expression used in general relativity to describe how the separation between two nearby geodesic paths changes over time. It is equivalent to the equation of motion for test particles in a curved spacetime.

2. Why is linearising the Geodesic Deviation Equation important?

Linearising the Geodesic Deviation Equation allows us to simplify the equation and make it easier to solve. This is particularly useful when studying small deviations between geodesics, such as the motion of planets in our solar system.

3. How is the Geodesic Deviation Equation linearised?

The Geodesic Deviation Equation is linearised by using a Taylor series expansion, where we approximate the equation at a specific point by considering only the first derivative of the function. This results in a linear equation that is easier to solve.

4. What are some applications of linearising the Geodesic Deviation Equation?

Linearising the Geodesic Deviation Equation is used extensively in the study of gravitational waves, as well as in the analysis of the orbits of celestial bodies. It also has applications in the study of black holes and other astrophysical phenomena.

5. Are there any limitations to linearising the Geodesic Deviation Equation?

Linearising the Geodesic Deviation Equation is only valid for small deviations between geodesics. If the deviations are too large, the linear approximation may not accurately describe the motion of particles in a curved spacetime. Additionally, it may not be applicable in highly non-linear systems, such as those involving strong gravitational fields.