Linearly Independent Eigen Vectors

In summary, the student had initially made an error in calculating the Eigen Values but has now corrected it and gotten the correct values of +3 and -3. They also found the corresponding Eigen Vectors of [+1, -1] for +3 and [8, 2] for -3. The book's answer is B, but the student is unsure of how to arrive at that answer and has asked for clarification. They also mention struggling with understanding a question about a hermition matrix. Finally, the student confirms that their initial question has been resolved and agrees with the advice to start a new thread for their other question.
jaus tail
Solved (sorry i tried again and realized my E-values were wrong)
1. Homework Statement

upload_2018-1-30_14-46-49.png

Homework Equations

Find Eigen Values and then what?

The Attempt at a Solution

I got eigen values as 3 and -3.
Now how to proceed?
I got Eigen Vector as: 1, 1 for eigen value of 3
and eigen vector as 8, 2 for eigen value of -3
so these are 2 independent eigen vector.
Book answer is B.
How?

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-30_14-46-49.png
    upload_2018-1-30_14-46-49.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 628
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Show your work, not just the results, please

Likes jaus tail
Okay. Will be careful for next time.
I'm struggling with this question. Thought of posting here instead of in other thread.
upload_2018-1-30_17-7-35.png

I think it's hermition matrix as A = (transpose and then conjugate of A)
But book says answer is D.

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-30_17-7-35.png
    upload_2018-1-30_17-7-35.png
    3 KB · Views: 252
jaus tail said:
Thought of posting here instead of in other thread
Better to start a new thread: you get more help that way, too !

Post #1 resolved ?

Likes jaus tail
Yes post#1 is solved. I had calculated wrong Eigen Values. Eigen values are +3, and +3. For +3 Eigen Vectors are [+1, -1] and there is no other combination of Eigen Vector that isn't a linear multiple of this vector. So there's only 1 Eigen Vector.

Likes BvU
For post #3 I agree with you.

Likes jaus tail
Thanks.

What is the definition of "Linearly Independent Eigen Vectors"?

Linearly Independent Eigen Vectors are a set of vectors that are not dependent on each other and can be used to represent a linear transformation of a matrix.

Why are Linearly Independent Eigen Vectors important in linear algebra?

Linearly Independent Eigen Vectors are important because they provide a basis for a vector space and allow for the representation of a linear transformation in a more efficient and simplified manner. They also have a variety of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

How can you determine if a set of vectors are linearly independent eigen vectors?

To determine if a set of vectors are linearly independent eigen vectors, you can use the determinant or rank of the matrix formed by these vectors. If the determinant is non-zero or the rank is equal to the number of vectors, then the set is linearly independent.

Is it possible for a set of linearly dependent vectors to also be eigen vectors?

No, a set of linearly dependent vectors cannot be eigen vectors. This is because eigen vectors must be linearly independent in order to form a basis for the vector space.

Can a matrix have an infinite number of linearly independent eigen vectors?

No, a matrix can have at most n linearly independent eigen vectors, where n is the dimension of the matrix. This is because the maximum number of linearly independent vectors in a vector space is equal to its dimension.