Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Link between CP violation and supersymmetry?

1. Nov 7, 2014 #1
    I have been looking in SUSY and have seen that the CP violation of B mesons into two muons is one of the key facts that has cast further doubt over SUSY. I don t really understand how the CP violation of B mesons is a sign of SUSY issues, so if you are able to clear this up for me that would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I think you mean the decay of Bs mesons to two muons. This has nothing to do with CP violation. The standard model prediction for the branching fraction is tiny, but new fields/particles could have enhanced that significantly as they could add new decay mechanisms.

4. Nov 7, 2014 #3
    Yes that's what I mean, forgot to include the subscript. Could you explain what you mean by the branching fraction?

5. Nov 7, 2014 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The probability that the particle decays to two muons. On average, about 3 out of a billion Bs decay to two muons.

For Bd, the probability is even lower with 1 out of 10 billions.

6. Nov 8, 2014 #5

ChrisVer

Gold Member

As for susy issues, I'd say that the main concern about the branching ratios come from the fact that SuSy will allow additional channels for a process...
    So let's say that for the SM you have X% predicted events...
    and for SM+SUSY you have X+Y % predicted events...
    If experiment allows for X% but not for X+Y% then SUSY [models] gets disfavored. Of course you have a lot of parameters to play with in such scenarios, like playing with the masses of the spartners and so on... But the more you play with it, SuSy can change a lot..

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook