Link between physical and mental activity?

In summary: Endorphins are hormones that are responsible for the euphoric feeling after strenuous activity.In summary, physical activity stimulates the brain and can improve mental activity.
wasteofo2
Is there a link between physical and mental activity?

For instance, when I'm feeling tired, often if I exercise, if I don't do it to strenuosly, afterwards I'll feel much more awake and alert. I would assume that since your heart gets pounding faster and your body sort of wakes up, that your brain would too. But then, assumptions have no reason to be right.

So if you get your body moving, your heart pounding, does it stimulate your brain as well? If you're tired and need to do some sort of work (write a paper, solve problems), would jogging a mile before hand help wake you up and allow you to do it better?

Biology news on Phys.org
Light aerobic exercise does get the brain juices flowing. Various factors could be at play here : greater arousal state due to catecholamines, endogenous mineralosteroids and corticosteroids, etc., greater blood flow to all organs and so on.

I find that leisurely walks allow me to focus on a problem better.

Last edited:
Grow new neurons just add excercise

wasteofo2 said:
Is there a link between physical and mental activity?

For instance, when I'm feeling tired, often if I exercise, if I don't do it to strenuosly, afterwards I'll feel much more awake and alert. I would assume that since your heart gets pounding faster and your body sort of wakes up, that your brain would too. But then, assumptions have no reason to be right.

So if you get your body moving, your heart pounding, does it stimulate your brain as well? If you're tired and need to do some sort of work (write a paper, solve problems), would jogging a mile before hand help wake you up and allow you to do it better?

Here's another benefit of excercise for mental activity:

Exercise Improves Learning and Memory

Chalk up another benefit for regular exercise. Investigators from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) have found that voluntary running boosts the growth of new nerve cells and improves learning and memory in adult mice.

"Until recently it was thought that the growth of new neurons, or neurogenesis, did not occur in the adult mammalian brain," said Terrence Sejnowski, an HHMI investigator at The Salk Institute for Biological Studies. "But we now have evidence for it, and it appears that exercise helps this happen."

http://www.hhmi.org/news/sejnowski.html

Excercise also releases endorphins in the brain.

1. How does physical activity affect mental health?

Physical activity has been shown to have a positive impact on mental health by reducing symptoms of anxiety, depression, and stress. Exercise releases feel-good hormones called endorphins, which can improve mood and overall well-being. It also helps increase blood flow to the brain, promoting the growth of new brain cells and improving cognitive function.

2. Is there a connection between physical activity and cognitive function?

Yes, there is a strong link between physical activity and cognitive function. Regular exercise has been shown to improve memory, attention, and decision-making skills. It also helps increase the production of important neurotransmitters in the brain, which can enhance cognitive abilities.

3. How much physical activity is needed to see a difference in mental health?

The amount of physical activity needed to see a difference in mental health varies for each individual. However, most research suggests that at least 30 minutes of moderate to vigorous exercise, 3-5 times a week, can have a positive impact on mental health. It's important to find an exercise routine that works for you and stick to it consistently.

4. Can physical activity help with managing stress?

Yes, physical activity can be an effective tool for managing stress. Exercise helps release tension and reduce levels of the stress hormone cortisol. It can also provide a distraction from daily stressors and give you a sense of accomplishment, leading to improved mental well-being.

5. Are there any mental health conditions that can benefit from physical activity?

Research has shown that physical activity can benefit a variety of mental health conditions, including depression, anxiety, ADHD, and PTSD. Exercise can help improve symptoms and manage these conditions by promoting the release of endorphins and reducing stress and inflammation in the brain.