Linkage analysis using intersection of three sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of an algorithm for finding the locations of nodes connected by rigid links. The algorithm involves treating the problem as the intersection of three spheres, where the centers of the spheres are known points and the radii are the lengths of the links. However, there is a challenge in choosing the correct location as the intersection of three spheres usually gives two points. The solution proposed involves using a plane that contains the three sphere center points and checking the sign of the dot product to determine the correct location. The conversation also mentions the possibility of a more robust solution.
KLoux
Hello. I am creating an algorithm for finding the locations of nodes connected by rigid links. Some nodes in the system are constrained in place, and to one node (a *special* node), a displacement is applied. The algorithm should be able to determine the locations of the other nodes by knowing only the lengths of all of the links and the locations of the constrained nodes.

To do this, I am treating the problem as the intersection of three spheres. The centers of the spheres are known points (either constrained nodes or nodes that were previously solved using the same technique) and the radii of the spheres are the lengths of the appropriate links. The place where the spheres intersect is the location of the node.

Of course, the intersection of three spheres (usually) gives two points, and I have to choose between them to determine the correct location of the node. This is where I am stuck now. Previously, I was comparing the two solutions to the original location of the node (before the displacement was applied to the *special* node), and this works in most cases, but not all. I have an idea for a more robust solution, but I can wrap my head around an implementation:

There is a plane that contains the three sphere center points. Between the two solutions, one will always lie on one side of the plane, and the second will lie on the opposite side of the plane. I think it is safe for me to assume (due to the geometry of my system of links) that the correct solution will be on the same side of that plane as the original location of the node. The problem is that this plane moves as the system of links moves (but the system is constrained so that the plane isn't going to rotate anywhere near 90 degrees, usually it will probably be < 20 degrees), so I have the original node and the original plane, and a set of two solutions with a new plane. So my two questions:

1. How can I determine if point X is on the same side of plane A, and point Y is to plane B?
2. Is there a better way to solve a system like this that avoids this problem entirely?

Hopefully this isn't too confusing... if it is, please ask and I will try to clarify. Thanks in advance!

-Kerry

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Ah - nevermind, I realized that this was easier than I was making it. Checking the sign of the dot product of the plane normal and a vector from the potential solution to some point in the plane will suffice.

Thanks!

-Kerry

1. What is linkage analysis using intersection of three sphere?

Linkage analysis using intersection of three sphere is a statistical method used in genetics to map the location of disease-causing genes on a chromosome. It involves analyzing the genetic information of family members to identify any shared DNA segments that are linked to the disease.

2. How does this method work?

In this method, genetic markers are used to identify shared DNA segments among family members. These markers are compared to determine whether they are linked to the disease or not. The intersection of three sphere refers to the three-dimensional representation of these shared DNA segments, which helps in narrowing down the location of the disease-causing gene.

3. What are the advantages of using this method?

Linkage analysis using intersection of three sphere is a powerful tool for identifying disease-causing genes. It can be used to study both rare and common diseases and does not require prior knowledge about the disease or the location of the gene. It also allows for the identification of multiple genes that may contribute to the disease.

4. What are the limitations of this method?

This method requires a large family with multiple affected members in order to accurately identify the location of the disease-causing gene. It also assumes that the disease is caused by a single gene, which may not always be the case. Additionally, this method is time-consuming and can be expensive.

5. How is this method used in genetic research?

Linkage analysis using intersection of three sphere is commonly used in genetic research to identify the location of disease-causing genes. It is also used in clinical settings to help families understand the inheritance pattern of a disease and to provide genetic counseling. Additionally, this method can be used to identify potential therapeutic targets for diseases with a known genetic cause.