Linux on VirtualBox or Standalone

• Thread starter EngWiPy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linux
In summary: Ubuntu. But if you're looking for a Linux distribution to use as your main OS, Ubuntu is a good choice.
It is mostly a matter of taste. In fact, Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu. So, the essential difference is the user interface. I believe it also differs a bit when it comes to which programs which are included in the installation. This is, however, a minor issue since you can install the software you want afterwards.
Regarding the stability, I had in the past some issues with Cinnamon (the standard gui in Mint). It was probably a bug which maybe has been fixed in later versions. I can thus recommend you to use the MATE version of Linux Mint. This is very stable and in my opinion faster (since the requirements on hardware is less). However, if Cinnamon worked in Virtualbox it will probably work if you install it as dualboot also.

Likes EngWiPy
Computer science news on Phys.org
S_David said:
But I cannot switch entirely to Linux now. I use many programs on Windows.
S_David said:
I have just one laptop at the moment. I'm thinking to buy a new one. In that case I will allocate one for each OS.

Yes, I would like to learn Linux, and use it for different things like coding for example. In the future, if I like it and have no compatibility issues with other users, I might switch to it entirely!

By the way, what's about compatibility with windows? Like say I write a document or presentation on Linux, would I be able to run it on windows OS?

While there are many paths you could take, based on the above, I think you will get the most with a separate machine for Linux. My reasoning:

A) While installing Linux to dual-boot Windows on one machine isn't all that difficult or risky, it can be a little intimidating the first time out, and you do run the small risk of booting issues or even messing up your Windows install. You'd probably be fine, but those risks are real. Once you've done an install or two, it will be easier to tackle if you decide for that path in the future.

B) Installing on a machine where you can just wipe the hard drive is really simple. It will be a big confidence booster, and eliminate some variables. And since you want to learn Linux, having a machine dedicated will help you. You will hesitate to reboot to go back-forth, and oyu can have your Windows machine open to search any troubleshooting you might need to do, with your Linux open.

C) And especially since this is about learning for you, I'd highly second the recommendations to create a separate "/" partition for the Linux system and the "/home" partition (your personal files, documents, music, videos and some settings reside here). My "/" partition is 25GB, you might want to go a little larger, but I've also added a LOT of stuff and I still have room. And I would create multiple "/" sized partitions, depending on your drive space. The advantage is, you can install several varieties of Linux, and all these can access the "/home" partition with your documents. So you can reboot between different installs to try them out, reload things while keeping one constant as a reference point, or boot into another to troubleshoot the others.

BTW, I've been using the "Xubuntu" variant, and have stuck with 14.04. It is 'lighter' than the graphics heavy "Unity" based Ubuntu, and I like it better - very easy to customize through the GUI to get the desktop set up to work efficiently for me.

If you need any help with the install, there are other good forums, but I'm sure people here will help as well, if it is considered in line with the objective of this forum.

As an aside, my wife's MacBook Pro is aging, and she uses it 1/2 the time for watching DVDs, then facebook, browsing, a little email. The new Apple portables don't include a DVD drive - I may just set her up with Linux when the MacBook dies - I think she'd be fine with it, and one less system type for me to maintain (I've gone nuts with some of Apple's 'updates' that take things backwards).

Likes EngWiPy
It's always better to visualize in my opinion. There should not be any performance hit, I use virtualization on my live servers. Virtualization allows things like versioning the entire computer, copying it, pausing them...

Likes EngWiPy
I'm still using VirtualBox, but I needed to resize the hard drive because at first I allocated only 10 GB for Ubuntu, and they were occupied very quickly.

What's the difference between dual boot and having only Ubuntu on a machine? and if I installed only Ubuntu on a machine, will I be able to install Windows on it later, since the recovery part is on the hard drive not on an external disc?

S_David said:

What's the difference between dual boot and having only Ubuntu on a machine? and if I installed only Ubuntu on a machine, will I be able to install Windows on it later, since the recovery part is on the hard drive not on an external disc?

Just that when you install Ubuntu alone, you won't have to take into consideration the Windows install at all. Not really a big deal, just one less worry if you are new to this.

On one of my machines, I wanted to partition so as to only leave a little space for Windows, as I didn't plan to use it much, if at all. But there was something funky going on, Windows seemed to have something allocated at the mid point of the drive space, and it would not let me use that free space for a new partition. I found people mentioning some 'tricks' to free it up, but that sounded risky. But afterwards, I had no problem putting a folder in that space, and Ubuntu could use it for storage.

I'm not much of a Windows guy, but I'd guess you'd likely need to wipe the drive and install Windows from scratch if you wanted. I don't think a Windows install would protect the Ubuntu install, it would likely walk right over it.

I heard that defragmentation solves the hidden files problem, doesn't it?

S_David said:
I heard that defragmentation solves the hidden files problem, doesn't it?
I don't recall that being a solution, but maybe that works in some other cases? Lots of variables I suppose.

S_David said:
I'm still using VirtualBox, but I needed to resize the hard drive because at first I allocated only 10 GB for Ubuntu, and they were occupied very quickly.

I haven't purchased a brand name computer for a very long time so I am not sure exactly how the windows bootloader is configured for the recovery partition or how to recover/repair the bootloader to allow you to access the recovery partition. Maybe someone else here does.

When you install Ubuntu on a system, it will modify the MBR and use GRUB to load the system instead of the Windows Bootloader. GRUB let's you pick if you want to load Windows or if you want to load Linux when you boot
The problem with installing windows AFTER ubuntu is that the windows bootloader gets installed 2nd and it removes the GRUB pointers from the MBR so you cannot load linux anymore. By default, Windows only let's you load windows and nothing else. You can still repair it but it can be complicated for someone not familiar with GRUB.

What I suggest for dual boot configurations is this, first install windows on the computer and leave space for linux. Then after the windows installation is complete, then install linux because GRUB let's you choose if you want to load Linux or Windows when you boot.

Performance wise, there's no difference between using a dualboot and a pure ubuntu system.

there are some other options to consider. eg make a botable thumbdrive.. install a second drive.. clone your drive before wiping so you can replace as is if problems arise..

___

If you have a windows recovery partition that installs or reinstalls windows you might not want to wipe your drive.

You can use a program like gparted. Boot into it and using a prepared partitioning plan, leave the windows reinstall partition alone. Divide the rest of the space into a section (at the beginning) that you can use to reinstall windows, format that section ntsf. Install windows there. Windows installs its boat loader.

and a section that you can use to install linux. divide that section into a couple of sections to install different linux on.

When installing linux you get option of which partition to install linux on.

When installed, linux installs a boot loader http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/multi-boot-managers.shtml that recognises the windows installation and gives you a choice to go there.

If you install windows after installing linux, windows won't recognise the linux installation and installs its own boot loader with no linux option.

There are ways around all that too.

You have to be prepared to learn stuff and make mistakes. Remember you're not the first to do all this so not the first to make the mistakes and look for solutions. They're out there.

Possibly the most important thing is not to wipe the windows installation partition on the laptop.

edit add: just noticed Routaran dealt with most of that in his post.

Last edited:
Likes Routaran
Yes, I'm inclined for the dual boot option, but I think for now I will use virtualbox until I feel I need to format my laptop, then I will install Ubuntu so that if doesn't work, I will be recovering the Windows anyway. If it works, then I can do it again after recovering the Windows.

Likes Routaran
S_David said:
Yes, I'm inclined for the dual boot option, but I think for now I will use virtualbox until I feel I need to format my laptop, then I will install Ubuntu so that if doesn't work, I will be recovering the Windows anyway. If it works, then I can do it again after recovering the Windows.
Good! I believe this is the safest course of action. Get familiar first, then go crazy!

Likes EngWiPy