Two operating systems or a virtual machine

In summary: If you have a regular hard drive, you can try a few things to see if it makes a difference. Disable defragmentation, make sure your hard drive is in good shape, make sure it's not full, and make sure your Windows 10 VM is set to use VHDs rather than files.
stockzahn
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dear all,

my PC runs on Windows 10. In the near future I will have to perform some simulations with Open FOAM. I've already done that some years ago (Windows 7 and I used a virtual machine to be able to run Ubuntu/Open FOAM). My experiences were that the program was executed very slow (despite allocating a large fraction of my RAM). Therefore I wanted to ask, if you could give some advice, if I should install two operating systems to increase the performance or if you maybe could recommend a "virtual machine" for this kind of application. I've also read that in Windows 10 there is the possibility to run Open FOAM without Linux/Ubuntu or a virtual machine - maybe this is the best option...?

Thanks in advance,
stockzahn

Computer science news on Phys.org
Obviously, the VM would allow you to run Windows programs (Word, email, whatever) while you run your simulations. This may be a valuable convenience. It's really your choice. I've done it both ways - not with Ubuntu in the VM, but with other OS configurations.

That's of course true, I would be able to use the two OSs more or less at the same time - a big pro for the VM-option. Nevertheless, do you or does anyone already gained experience with the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)?

The performance of your VM depends very heavily on what the underlying system is doing. I manage a bunch of servers, all of which have two VMs on them and run onto of a Xen operating system. They work lightning fast and there is no reason that a modern VM should run slowly. My guess is that it was your hard drive that was being bad. When Windows wants to write to the drive, it does a lot of smart stuff to make sure things are written efficiently. When running two OSs at the same time, they may each want to write to different sectors of the same physical disk so if you have a magnetic hard drive (which I'm guessing you had since you said it was a few years ago) it'll cause shoddy performance. If you have an SSD, you should not have this problem.

1. What is a virtual machine?

A virtual machine is a software program that emulates a physical computer system, allowing you to run multiple operating systems on the same physical machine.

2. What are the benefits of using a virtual machine?

Some benefits of using a virtual machine include the ability to run multiple operating systems on one machine, increased flexibility and scalability, and the ability to isolate and test software in a controlled environment.

3. How does a virtual machine differ from dual-booting?

A virtual machine allows for simultaneous operation of multiple operating systems on one machine, while dual-booting requires rebooting the machine to switch between operating systems.

4. Can a virtual machine run all applications and programs?

In most cases, a virtual machine can run all applications and programs, but there may be limitations depending on the specific virtual machine software and the capabilities of the host machine.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using a virtual machine?

Some potential drawbacks of using a virtual machine include reduced performance due to resource sharing, increased hardware requirements, and potential compatibility issues with certain software programs.