Liquids involving continuity equation

In summary, the water flowing through a 1.9 cm pipe flows out through three 1.3 cm pipes. The flow rate in the 1.9 cm pipe is the sum of the flow rates in the three smaller pipes.
sophzilla
Any help would be appreciated -

The water flowing through a 1.9 cm (inside diameter) pipe flows out through three 1.3 cm pipes. (a) If the flow rates in the three smaller pipes are 28, 15, and 10 L/min, what is the flow rate in the 1.9 cm pipe?

The basic continuity idea is A1v1 = A2v2.
The flow rate equation is R = Av.

For each of the 3 pipes, the flow rate is given (R) and the area can be calculated (pi*r^2).

To find the flow rate of the 1.9cm pipe, we need to know the speed of water flow (v, since R =Av).

But I don't know how to put them all together and relate them. I tried things but I always got the wrong answer. Please give me a hint or help. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What does "flow rate" mean? Hint: All the water in the main pipe must end up in the smaller pipes.

The conservation of mass is the concept from which the continuity equation is derived. Therefore, if you have a Q from one main pipe and it divides into 3 other pipes, the Q on the main pipe must be the sum of the Qs on the 3 smaller pipers, so mass is conserved.

Okay,

I understand what both of you guys said, and you're thinking, "well...if she understands it then why can't she do the problem?" It is because I'm a dumbass.

Anyhow, I understand the concept (at least, I think). I'm not asking for a completely solved problem, but can you help me a bit more with how to set up the problem? I promise I will try my hardest to solve it...I just need a starting point.

I set the initial pipe as A1v1, and the 3 respective pipes as A2v2, A3v3 and A4v4. I did everything I know but still got it wrong.

Thank you.

Never mind! I got it: you just add all the flow rates of three pipes together. This makes sense, although I hate it when they put problems like this...it seems too easy.

Thanks for your help.

I'd still advise you understand the underlying concept of the continuity equation. Good luck.

1. What is the continuity equation for liquids?

The continuity equation for liquids is a mathematical representation of the principle of conservation of mass. It states that the rate of change of mass in a system is equal to the net rate of mass flow into or out of the system.

2. How is the continuity equation applied in fluid mechanics?

In fluid mechanics, the continuity equation is used to analyze the flow of liquids in a system. It helps to determine how the velocity and cross-sectional area of a pipe or channel affect the rate of mass flow. It is also used to ensure that mass is conserved in a system.

3. What are the assumptions made in the continuity equation?

The continuity equation assumes that the liquid is incompressible, meaning its density does not change. It also assumes that there are no sources or sinks of mass within the system, and that the flow is steady and laminar (smooth and non-turbulent).

4. How is the continuity equation used in real-world applications?

The continuity equation has many practical applications in engineering, such as in the design of pipelines, pumps, and other fluid systems. It is also used in meteorology to study the motion of air masses and in oceanography to analyze ocean currents.

5. What is the difference between the continuity equation for liquids and gases?

The continuity equation for liquids and gases is essentially the same, except for the assumption of incompressibility. In gases, the density can change due to changes in pressure and temperature, so the continuity equation must take this into account. In liquids, however, the density is relatively constant, so the continuity equation simplifies to only consider the velocity and cross-sectional area.