Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Local bending stress calculation in long beams

1. Jul 21, 2011 #1
    Hi everyone,

Recently I faced a problem in calculating bending stress in a long UPN profile "flange" due to concentrated force.
    It seems that the regular/familiar formula for bending stress in a finite/short element does not applicable in local bending of long/infinite beam. See sketch attached for clarification.
    An example to such calculation I found in elevator's std for "T" rails calculation which express the stress in the "flange" root:

\sigma=\frac{1.85F}{c^2}

My question is how to calculate such local bending stress in a "flange" of std profiles such UPN/IPN...and sources/books in the subject.

Thank you,
    Guideon

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2011 #2
    My answer to everything - FEA.

But more seriously, I doubt there's an analytic solution to this, which would be why you have that empirical formula for a special beam section. You could get an upper limit to the stress by assuming a beam shorter than the width of the loaded region and use the simple beam equation you did.

4. Jul 23, 2011 #3
    Hi Unrest,

Thank you for your reply,
    I am afraid that your solution to the problem could be used only for estimation purposes, I am still looking for analitical/empirical solutions.

Guideon

5. Jul 26, 2011 #4
    for an infinite length beam could you not treat the area under load as being built in at a distance away from the load? or use a plastic analysis approach with the concept of moving hinge point along an infinite beam..
    take cuts at the hinges and treat as beam with imaginary built in ends (ie a couple applied to the ends of the cut)
    with a theoretical max. moment generated either at cut (hogging moment) or at point of load (assuming point load applied) to give a sagging moment. then calculate your second moment of area for the section and using the Engineers Equation (M/I)=(Sigma/y) you can calculate sigma over a range of y and draw the stress distribution across the section @ point of maximum bending

I hope at that helps somewhat..

6. Jul 26, 2011 #5
    Red jeste,

I am sorry, but I didn't understand your idea at all. May be I didn't clarify myself well, attached sketch may be helpful to clarify your claim.

Thank you
    Guideon

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook