Local Electrodynamics in higher dimensions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the breakdown of Maxwell's equations at small length scales and the potential escape of gravitons to higher dimensions. The question is raised about the possibility of a geometric explanation where the universe appears to be higher dimensional locally but coalesces into (3+1)-dimensions at larger lengths. This concept is similar to string theory, where extra dimensions are curled up tightly. The discussion also touches on the issue of infinities in QED and the potential role of local geometry in resolving them.
"pi"mp
Local Electrodynamics in higher dimensions??

So I am an unexperienced undergrad but the other day I had a few thoughts which are most likely crazy. I'm just wondering why they don't work. And whether the questions I'm asking are answered elsewhere.

So I've heard:

(i) Maxwell's equations break down on very, very small length scales. But Hermann Weyl showed they only work in (3+1)-dim spacetime.

and

(ii) Perhaps we haven't observed gravitons because they escape to higher dimensions after traveling only tiny length scales.

So I was wondering, is there some geometric way of thinking of the universe where locally, the universe is a higher dimensional space and they dimensions somehow coalesce or "smooth out" into the usual (3+1)-dimensions at larger lengths? Might Maxwell's electrodynamics be only approximate but break down locally?

I might not even be asking sensible questions and I certainly don't know enough mathematics to ask it more concisely, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's pretty much what string theory does ... what you do is curl the extra dimensions up real tight.

ah thank you...so the infinities that plague ED and QED, aren't these only problematic with point charges? Does the local geometry fix this?

No - the infinities that plague QED are not only problematic for point charges.

So thinking about my original post more now that I know more geometry, is the idea that the dimensions that you say are "curled up" locally, are from a vector or fibre bundle at that point on spacetime? Then the problematic point charges can be regarded as loops in the bundle but project down to a point still.

1. What is local electrodynamics in higher dimensions?

Local electrodynamics in higher dimensions is the study of the behavior and interactions of electromagnetic fields in spaces with more than three dimensions. This is an important topic in theoretical physics, as it helps us understand how the laws of electromagnetism may differ in higher dimensional spaces.

2. How does local electrodynamics in higher dimensions differ from traditional electrodynamics?

Unlike traditional electrodynamics, which deals with three-dimensional space, local electrodynamics in higher dimensions takes into account the additional dimensions and how they affect the behavior of electromagnetic fields. This can lead to new phenomena and a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of electromagnetism.

3. What are some potential applications of local electrodynamics in higher dimensions?

Some potential applications of local electrodynamics in higher dimensions include studying the behavior of electromagnetic fields in higher dimensional materials, developing new technologies based on higher dimensional principles, and gaining a better understanding of the fundamental laws of physics.

4. How is local electrodynamics in higher dimensions studied?

Local electrodynamics in higher dimensions is typically studied using mathematical models and computational simulations. These help scientists visualize and analyze the behavior of electromagnetic fields in higher dimensional spaces and make predictions about their properties and interactions.

5. What are some current research topics in local electrodynamics in higher dimensions?

Some current research topics in local electrodynamics in higher dimensions include the behavior of electromagnetic waves in higher dimensional media, the role of higher dimensions in quantum electrodynamics, and the potential existence of higher dimensional particles and forces that interact with electromagnetic fields.