Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Local Electrodynamics in higher dimensions?

1. Jul 30, 2013 #1
    Local Electrodynamics in higher dimensions??

So I am an unexperienced undergrad but the other day I had a few thoughts which are most likely crazy. I'm just wondering why they don't work. And whether the questions I'm asking are answered elsewhere.

So I've heard:

(i) Maxwell's equations break down on very, very small length scales. But Hermann Weyl showed they only work in (3+1)-dim spacetime.

and

(ii) Perhaps we haven't observed gravitrons because they escape to higher dimensions after traveling only tiny length scales.

So I was wondering, is there some geometric way of thinking of the universe where locally, the universe is a higher dimensional space and they dimensions somehow coalesce or "smooth out" into the usual (3+1)-dimensions at larger lengths? Might Maxwell's electrodynamics be only approximate but break down locally?

I might not even be asking sensible questions and I certainly don't know enough mathematics to ask it more concisely, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's pretty much what string theory does ... what you do is curl the extra dimensions up real tight.

4. Jul 30, 2013 #3
    ah thank you...so the infinities that plague ED and QED, aren't these only problematic with point charges? Does the local geometry fix this?

5. Jul 30, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No - the infinities that plague QED are not only problematic for point charges.

6. Jan 5, 2014 #5
    So thinking about my original post more now that I know more geometry, is the idea that the dimensions that you say are "curled up" locally, are from a vector or fibre bundle at that point on spacetime? Then the problematic point charges can be regarded as loops in the bundle but project down to a point still.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook