Local Max & Min of x/(1+x^2) - Find the Answers

• Thread starter Rossinole
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Local Max
In summary, to find the local max and min of x/(1+x^2), take the derivative and set it equal to zero. After factoring the top, we get (1-x)(1+x)/(1+x^2)^2 = 0, but the bottom cannot be factored further. Therefore, the only possible solution is when the numerator is 0, resulting in x = ±1.
Rossinole
1. Find the local max and min of x/(1+x^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Take the derivative of x/(1+x^2) and set it equal to zero.

f'(x)= (1-x^2)/(1+x^2)^2 = 0

This is where I am stuck. My first guess was to factor the top, resulting in (1-x)(1+x)/(1+x^2)^2 = 0, and then cancel the 1+x. But after that I'm still left with (1-x)/(1+x)^2 = 0. I know if you let x=0 you will get f'(x) = 0 because 0/anything = 0.

Really, I'm not sure what I can do after I take the derivative.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is where I am stuck. My first guess was to factor the top, resulting in (1-x)(1+x)/(1+x^2)^2 = 0

Good. Now stop.

[tex]\frac {(1-x)(1+x)}{(1+x^2)^2} \neq \frac {1-x}{(1+x)^2}[/tex]

Snazzy said:
Good. Now stop.

[tex]\frac {(1-x)(1+x)}{(1+x^2)^2} \neq \frac {1-x}{(1+x)^2}[/tex]

Would I factor the bottom into (1+x^2)(1+x^2)?

What's the use? That bugger is never going to equal 0 no matter what number you put in the denominator. Look at the numerator.

[tex]f'(x)= \frac{(1-x^2)}{(1+x^2)^2} = 0[/tex]

Is 0 when the numerator is 0...

[tex]1-x^2 = 0[/tex]

[tex]x = \pm 1?[/tex]

1. What is the function x/(1+x^2)?

The function x/(1+x^2) represents a rational function, where the numerator is a linear function and the denominator is a quadratic function. It can also be written as x(1+x^2)^-1.

2. How do you find the local max and min of x/(1+x^2)?

To find the local max and min of x/(1+x^2), we can use the first and second derivatives of the function. Set the first derivative equal to 0 to find critical points, and then use the second derivative test to determine if these points are local max or min.

3. What are the critical points of x/(1+x^2)?

The critical points of x/(1+x^2) occur when the first derivative is equal to 0. This happens when x = 0.

4. How do you use the second derivative test to determine max and min?

The second derivative test involves evaluating the second derivative at the critical points. If the second derivative is positive, the critical point is a local minimum. If the second derivative is negative, the critical point is a local maximum. If the second derivative is 0, the test is inconclusive and another method must be used.

5. What are the local max and min values of x/(1+x^2)?

The local maximum value of x/(1+x^2) occurs at the critical point x = 0, with a value of 0. The local minimum value does not exist, as the function continues to increase as x approaches infinity.