Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Local measurements on an entangled pair. (My understanding)

1. Mar 7, 2008 #1
    Say we have a BELL state |B00> = cos(a) |00>+ sin(a) |11>

then for a (just one) pair of entangled particles, we keep one on location q, the other one in location w; the one in q forms a system Q, the one in w forms W. ( 'x' in a function like |v> x |w> indicates a tensor product). Since they are entangled, they form a joint system QW, according to some tensor operations.

Define, on both systems, a projector : M0= |0><0|, M1=|1><1|. (they satisfy M0*M0+M1*M1= I)

and we use a projective measurement: Pm = Iq x (|Mm) = Iq x (|m><m|) (Iq is the identity operator on Q. m=0 or 1, is the outcome from M0 and M1, respectively), on the joint state |B00>

What is the result?

Here are my answers:
    Conclusion (0)
    Put it in plain English, the measurement Pm (m=0 and1) is to measure the particle in W along 0-1 axis. And this is done at location w locally.

Conclusion (1)
    at location w, we know if the outcome is 0, then the particle in Q is in 0, too. with 100% certainty. (outcome 1 means the same)
    After the measurement, if we measure the particle in q(the un-measured particle), say if we get Q=|0>, we know that the particle in W(the previously measured one) is 0, too, with 100% certainty.

Conclusion (2)
    For the measured pair, after the measurement, they are NOT entangled any more. Q and M are decoherenced. Any later measurements on the particle in Q has no influence on the particle in W, and vise verse.

SUMMARY:
    There are two possible outcomes: (ALL knowledge is at q locally, w would not know these, unless the information is sent from q to w via a classical channel)
    if we find the particle at w is |0>, (that is m=0).
    then we know that after the measurement, Q is in |0>, W is in |0> and the probability of this happening is cos(a)^2;
    if we find the particle at w is |1>, (that is m=1)
    then we know that after the measurement, Q is in |1>, W is in |1> and the probability of this happening is sin(a)^2;

Are the conclusions right or wrong?

Thanks

BTW, is it possible to get |B00> experimentally? I am thinking take |00>, use Hadamard gate to get (|0>+|1>)/sqrt2, then use CNOT to produce (|00>+|11>)/sqrt2. but I get other Bell states, ie. (|01>-|10>)/sqrt2 or (|01>+|10>)/sqrt2. Is is possible to get ONLY |B00>?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted