Local strain energy density for a plate subjected to in-plane linear load

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
mp87
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Dear all,


I would like to know from you the solution about this problem (which is not a homework, but a topic of my Master thesis!): I need the strain energy density related to a circle of radius r0 centered in an arbitrary point of a square plate, under the boundary conditions described in the attached picture (on the right edge a linear stress is applied, which ranges from 0 to S). The value I obtained, under the plain strain hypothesis, is:

[itex] SED=\frac{1-\nu^2}{2\,E}\,\left(\frac{S}{h}\right)^2\,\left[\frac{r_0^2}{4}+(h+y_c)^2\right][/itex]

where h is the edge of the square plate and yc the y coordinate of the center. The fact is that it doesn't match with the FEM solution (which is surely right, since it was obtained by my Supervisor :)).

Can you please derive the equation and compare it with mine?


Thanks for your help!


Mattia
 
Attachments
Physics news on Phys.org
Oops, I found the mistake! It was hidden inside the choose of the reference system :P

Here's the correct formula:

[itex] SED=\frac{1-\nu^2}{2\,E}\,\left(\frac{S}{h}\right)^2\,\left[\frac{r_0^2}{4}+(h-y_c)^2\right][/itex]





Mattia