1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Locally path connected implies path connected

1. Nov 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We say the metric space X is locally path connected (lpc) if all balls are path connected sets.

Suppose X is lpc and that E is an open and connected subset of X. Prove that E is path connected.

2. Relevant equations
    A set is open if every point is an interior point. A set is connected if it cannot be written as the union of two open, disjoint, non-empty sets. A set is path connected if given any two points x,y in the set, there exists a path between them.

3. The attempt at a solution
    None really. My professor suggested that for a fixed x, I consider the set Y of all y that are path connected to x and show that this set is all of E by somehow showing that if it were not, I could disconnect the space using Y and Y complement.

I just don't see the direction that this problem could take. Is it long? Is it short but requires ingenuity? What should I try to do? Where am I trying to end up?

Help, it's hard!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not hard and doesn't require any stunning ingenuity. You just have to think clearly. Can you show Y is open? The main ingredient you need is that if a,b and c are three points, and a is path connected to b and b is path connected to c then a is path connected to c. Now can you show E-Y (the set of all points in E that aren't in Y) is also open? That's your disconnection.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook