Location of the Asteroid Belt between Mars and Jupiter

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 9K views
Philosophaie
Messages
456
Reaction score
0
There is an Asteroid Belt between Mars and Jupiter. I have a few questions about it. Where does it start and end (Radius from the Sun)?
Also, the Right Ascensions and Declinations of the extents of the belt or if it is continuous around the sun?

I know that some of the larger asteroids and Ceres have elliptical orbits so humor me.

Some websites would be helpful.
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Does the main asteroid belt have a breath and width in RA and DEC?
 
But how big and the location of the debris in the ecliptic. Is it like the rings of Saturn or is it a larger dispersion.
 
It is, in fact, dispersed pretty uniformly about its orbit.

Of course, the asteroid belt, being a swarm of independently orbiting bodies, does not have "hard" width but according to http://www.bnsc.gov.uk/4749.aspx it is approximately 180 million km in width.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I think the Main Belt is defined as being between 2.0 AU and 3.5 AU. Outside of that and objects fall into different categories. Nature, of course, is under no obligation to fit our preconceptions.
 
I answered my own question about the asteroids in the Declinaton dircection using this site:

http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/dat/ELEMENTS.NUMBR

This site shows all the major dwarf planets and asteroids. I just looked at all the inclinations,i, for a semi-major axis,a, between 2 and 3.5AU and found the largest i to be about 64deg for about the first 1000 or so averaging between 10-30deg.