Are stable orbits possible between Mars and Jupiter?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of placing space stations or small planets at arbitrary orbits between Jupiter and Mars. It is mentioned that Lagrange points, which are positions of stable orbits around planets and moons, are only relevant when the object is near a large gravitational body relative to itself. The Kirkwood gaps, which are orbital radii that do not work, are also brought up. It is suggested that the asteroid belt, including periphery groups, extends from 1.78 to 4.2 AU and includes most of the orbital radii between Mars and Jupiter. The Hilda group asteroids, which are affected by Jupiter but never run into any planets, are mentioned as a potential safe place for a space station. The Trojan orbits are
Albertgauss
Gold Member
Just quick question: Could you put space stations (or even other small planets) at any aribitrary orbit or any radius in between Jupiter and Mars? Or, if something attempted to do so, would the orbit be unstable, and the object drift to either Mars or Jupiter?

I was reading about Lagrange points, positions of stable orbits around planets and moons. Lagrange points are special, in which small objects compared to the moon or planet can maintain their position with respect to the larger planet/moon. If the smaller mass is not at the Lagrange point, it will fall into the planet or fly away. But if you are far away from a large planet---like way in between Mars and Jupiter---are Lagrange points even worth considering? That is, is the issue or stable VS unstable orbits and Lagrange points only relevant when the object is near large graviational body relative to itself?
ArbitOrbit.jpg

Likes ohwilleke
Astronomy news on Phys.org
There are plenty of asteroids in stable orbits between Mars and Jupiter, so such orbits exist. There are some orbital radii that won't work however. Look up "Kirkwood gaps".

• Informative
Likes ohwilleke and etotheipi
Also "stable" is not a binary thing. Stable for one orbit? No problem. Stable for a trillion? Might be impossible.

If you are talking about a space station, how many orbits do you really need? Five? Fifty?

Likes ohwilleke
Stable on the order of centuries, is what I was thinking, longer than the lifetime of a person.

I did start reading about the Kirkwood Gaps, very interesting--those seemed to be in the asteroid belt. What about in the regions between Mars and the Asteroid belt, or between the Asteroid belt and Jupiter---would such space provide stable orbits on the order of centuries as well?

Likes ohwilleke
Albertgauss said:
Stable on the order of centuries, is what I was thinking, longer than the lifetime of a person.

I did start reading about the Kirkwood Gaps, very interesting--those seemed to be in the asteroid belt. What about in the regions between Mars and the Asteroid belt, or between the Asteroid belt and Jupiter---would such space provide stable orbits on the order of centuries as well?
Mars is roughly 1.52 AU from the Sun and Jupiter is 5 AU. The asteroid belt, including periphery groups, extends from 1.78 to 4.2 AU.

Graphically, it would look something like this, with the red dot being Mars, the magenta one Jupiter and the blue line the asteroid belt.

aster-belt.gif

So the asteroid belt includes most of the orbital radii between Mars and Jupiter.
In addition, the circle surrounding Jupiter represents its "gravitational sphere of influence". This is distance from Jupiter where its gravitational effect begins to exceed that of the Sun's.

So there are only fairly small "gaps" between Mars and the belt and between Jupiter and the belt. Object's placed there wouldn't likely be stable for the "long term". But "long term" means a something a bit different in astronomical terms vs. human terms. For example, the orbital precession of planetary orbits is measured in fractions of degrees per century.

• Informative
Likes ohwilleke, Klystron and Ibix
That last graph helped a lot. I realize I was visualizing the asteroid belt as a thin layer (radially)) between Mars and Jupiter, which was wrong, so the graph there helped to correct that the asteroid belt really does extend, comparatively, from Mars to Jupiter.

I think I'm good here. If people have other comments, by all means, post them, but I feel I have the information I wanted. Thanks for your help everyone.

Likes Klystron and berkeman
For visualization of Kirkwood gaps, see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirkwood_gap#/media/File:Kirkwood_Gaps.svg
This graph does not extend to especially 5 AU of Jupiter. I have seen some that do.
But in terms of broad regions, shortage of asteroids there does not prove instability. Narrow gaps do... but the instability of Kirkwood gaps is said to be on timescale of a few million years. Not a few tens.

The Hilda group asteroids are worth looking at. They are effected by Jupiter but never run into any planets.

If you are looking for a safe place for a station the Kirkwood gaps might be a good choice because asteroids do not have stable orbits there.

A better place for a station might be the Trojan orbits. If your colonists plan to come and go from the station then you want a low delta-v to flyby Jupiter. The tendency toward throwing things into new orbits is a feature when your economy depends on transporting supplies (or people) in and out of other orbits.

Some stations might be described as a mining operation on an asteroid. In that case an asteroid close to an unstable orbit is a better asteroid. You set the outpost on such an asteroid and give it a slight nudge. Dangerous mining tailings could be dumped into a collision course. Valuable resources are tossed toward consumers.

That's really great, Stefan r. I never even heard of the Hildas until now. I'm already reading about them thanks to your post. Thank you for mentioning that, Its really cool!

Also, if a space station is in a marginally unstable orbit, even on a scale of several times around the Sun, that is tolerable, because unlike asteroids, the space station can be tweaked into position with a slight amount of thrust (either integral to the facility or applied with an external craft) now and then.

1. What is the definition of a stable orbit?

A stable orbit is one in which an object, such as a planet, maintains a relatively consistent distance and path around another object, such as a star. This is achieved through a balance between the object's gravitational pull and its velocity.

2. Is it possible for a planet to have a stable orbit between Mars and Jupiter?

Yes, it is possible for a planet to have a stable orbit between Mars and Jupiter. In fact, there are several known objects in this region, such as the dwarf planet Ceres and the asteroid belt.

3. What factors affect the stability of an orbit between Mars and Jupiter?

The stability of an orbit between Mars and Jupiter is affected by several factors, including the mass and distance of the object from the sun, the gravitational pull of nearby objects, and the object's own velocity and trajectory.

4. Are there any known stable orbits between Mars and Jupiter?

Yes, there are several known stable orbits between Mars and Jupiter. These include the orbits of Ceres, Vesta, and Pallas, which are all considered dwarf planets.

5. How do scientists study and predict stable orbits between Mars and Jupiter?

Scientists study and predict stable orbits between Mars and Jupiter using various mathematical models and observations from telescopes and spacecraft. They also take into account the gravitational forces and interactions between objects in this region to determine the stability of their orbits.