Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Locked threads should not be featured

1. Jan 13, 2015 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2015 #2
    Why do you think this?

4. Jan 13, 2015 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I guess a combination of two things:
    1] Featuring a thread that cannot be contributed to seems kinda mean (in a bait & switch way).
    2] I see at least a loose correlation between locked threads and threads that are "not in the PF way" (i.e. there's a reason they're locked).

Both seem to be antithetical to the nature of a "featured" thread.

5. Jan 14, 2015 #4

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1] I wouldn't think that, as (old) threads would be locked at some point anyway.
    but
    2] Makes sense to me, as most locked threads, I think, have a posted reason for the locking; with some indicating "not the PF way". But maybe you and I are little paranoid.

6. Jan 14, 2015 #5

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I was under the assumption that featured threads were both recent and open. o_O

7. Jan 14, 2015 #6
    In the beginning I featured some threads that were classics but either designed as read only guides/FAQs or were old enough that we closed to prevent necroposting.

8. Jan 14, 2015 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Here are the numbers: old threads - 4 (1 closed, 3 open). New threads: 34 (6 closed, 28 open)

9. Jan 14, 2015 #8

Evo

Some threads degraded and needing closing. Just because they are featured doesn't mean that they are immune to forum standards.

10. Jan 14, 2015 #9

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Indeed, the correlation appears negative - i.e. the fraction of featured threads that are locked are indeed higher. However, this doesn't mean that troublesome threads are featured; it is at least as likely as the featured threads attract troublemakers.

11. Jan 14, 2015 #10

Evo

Yes, the noise to signal ratio increases. Mentors have waited until they are no longer the thread that appears on the homepage to close. The threads are not expected to remain open indefinitely.

Perhaps after a thread has it's week as "featured", that designation should be removed?

12. Jan 14, 2015 #11

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:oldcry: I'm being a little selfish here I guess. :oldcry:

13. Jan 14, 2015 #12

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I think this thread should be locked and then listed as a featured thread. :-p

Sorry folks ... I didn't get enough sleep last night and I'm a bit punchy. o_O

14. Jan 14, 2015 #13

RonL

Gold Member

Crackpot watching ? :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook