Locked threads should not be featured

DaveC426913

Gold Member

DaveC426913

Gold Member
Why do you think this?
I guess a combination of two things:
1] Featuring a thread that cannot be contributed to seems kinda mean (in a bait & switch way).
2] I see at least a loose correlation between locked threads and threads that are "not in the PF way" (i.e. there's a reason they're locked).

Both seem to be antithetical to the nature of a "featured" thread.

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
1] Featuring a thread that cannot be contributed to seems kinda mean (in a bait & switch way).
2] I see at least a loose correlation between locked threads and threads that are "not in the PF way" (i.e. there's a reason they're locked).

1] I wouldn't think that, as (old) threads would be locked at some point anyway.
but
2] Makes sense to me, as most locked threads, I think, have a posted reason for the locking; with some indicating "not the PF way". But maybe you and I are little paranoid.

Drakkith

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2018 Award
I was under the assumption that featured threads were both recent and open. o_O

Featuring a thread that cannot be contributed to seems kinda mean (in a bait & switch way
In the beginning I featured some threads that were classics but either designed as read only guides/FAQs or were old enough that we closed to prevent necroposting.

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Here are the numbers: old threads - 4 (1 closed, 3 open). New threads: 34 (6 closed, 28 open)

Evo

Mentor
Some threads degraded and needing closing. Just because they are featured doesn't mean that they are immune to forum standards.

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Just because they are featured doesn't mean that they are immune to forum standards.
Indeed, the correlation appears negative - i.e. the fraction of featured threads that are locked are indeed higher. However, this doesn't mean that troublesome threads are featured; it is at least as likely as the featured threads attract troublemakers.

Evo

Mentor

it is at least as likely as the featured threads attract troublemakers.
Yes, the noise to signal ratio increases. Mentors have waited until they are no longer the thread that appears on the homepage to close. The threads are not expected to remain open indefinitely.

Perhaps after a thread has it's week as "featured", that designation should be removed?

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Perhaps after a thread has it's week as "featured", that designation should be removed?
:oldcry: I'm being a little selfish here I guess. :oldcry:

I think this thread should be locked and then listed as a featured thread. :-p

Sorry folks ... I didn't get enough sleep last night and I'm a bit punchy. o_O

RonL

Gold Member
I think this thread should be locked and then listed as a featured thread. :-p

Sorry folks ... I didn't get enough sleep last night and I'm a bit punchy. o_O
Crackpot watching ? :D

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling