Locomotive, friction, and speed question

Can someone please explain it to me?In summary, a 4.6×104 kg locomotive traveling at 14 m/s on steel rails with a coefficient of friction of 1.6×10−3 will roll for approximately 2.17*10^-4 meters before coming to a stop, assuming its engine and brakes have failed. The calculations used to determine this distance are unclear and may require further explanation.
xgoddess210

Homework Statement

A 4.6×104 kg locomotive, with steel wheels, is traveling at 14 m/s on steel rails when its engine and brakes both fail. The coefficient of friction is 1.6×10−3.

1.) How far will the locomotive roll before it comes to a stop?

Answer in meters using two significant figures.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to do something here and I thought I had the solution but it was wrong. Please check my work and help me understand this problem.

Here is what I did:

1.6*10^-3 x4.6 *10^4 x9.8 =721 N

-721.28/1.6*10^-3 = -450800 m/s^2

v2-u2/2a ----> 0-14^2/2*-450800 ---> -196/-901600

d=2.17*10 ^-4

Physics news on Phys.org
Your second equation makes no sense with the units. What equation are you trying to use for step 2?

Honestly, I had no idea what I was doing. I tried looking at how someone solved the same problem with different numbers and just plugged my numbers in but it didn't work.

Related to Locomotive, friction, and speed question

1. What is a locomotive?

A locomotive is a type of engine that is used to pull trains and other heavy loads. It is powered by steam, electricity, or diesel fuel.

2. How does friction affect a locomotive?

Friction is the force that acts against the motion of the locomotive's wheels on the tracks. It can reduce the speed of the locomotive and cause wear and tear on the wheels and tracks.

3. What factors affect the speed of a locomotive?

The speed of a locomotive is affected by several factors, including the power of the engine, the weight of the train, the condition of the tracks, and the level of friction between the wheels and tracks.

4. How does a locomotive maintain its speed?

A locomotive maintains its speed by continuously burning fuel or using electricity to power the engine. The engineer can also adjust the throttle and brakes to control the speed of the train.

5. How does the speed of a locomotive affect its efficiency?

The speed of a locomotive can affect its efficiency in several ways. Higher speeds require more fuel or electricity, which can increase operating costs. Additionally, higher speeds can also increase wear and tear on the engine and tracks, leading to maintenance and repair expenses.