[Magnetism] Determine the direction of the force experienced by a (+)C

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Abood
Messages
14
Reaction score
3
Homework Statement
A proton travels with a speed of 3.0*10^6 m/s at an angle of 37 (degrees) west of north. A magnetic field of 0.30 T points to the north. Determine the following:
a) the magnitude of the magnetic force on the proton.
b) The direction of the magnetic force on the proton.
c) The proton's acceleration as it moves through the magnetic field
Relevant Equations
(Magnetic Force equations and Newton's Second Law)
F = Bvqsinθ
F = BILsinθ
F= ma

Alternative Right Hand Rule
Given:
q = 1.6*10^-19 C
B = 0.3 T north
v = 3*10^6 m/s north-west
θ = 37 (degrees)

Solution Attempt:
a) F = Bqvsinθ = (0.3)(1.6*10^-19)(3*10^6)(sin(37)) = 8.7*10^-14 N
b) Via right hand rule, F is into the page
c) a = F/m = 8.7*10^-14/1.6 × 10^−27 = 5.4*10^13 m/s^2

When I checked my answers with the given solutions, I found that answer b is incorrect which I didn't understand why.

I pointed the proton's direction to the west, the field to the north, and found my palm going inwards (into the page) but the solution shows that it should be out of the page. Did I do something incorrectly?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Abood said:
Did I do something incorrectly?
Don't think so. Given solutions can be in error, too.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Abood
BvU said:
Don't think so. Given solutions can be in error, too.
I see, thank you very much!