1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Locomotives on a collision track

1. Jan 22, 2013 #1
    As a high-speed passenger train, traveling at 88.0 km/h, rounds a bend, the engineer realizes that a locomotive has improperly entered the train's track from a sidetrack distance d= 420 m ahead. That locomotive is moving at 22.0 km/h. The engineer immediately applies the brakes to reduce train's speed to the speed of the locomotive ahead. What minimal magnitude of the resulting constant acceleration is needed to prevent a collision?

I thought the equation to use would be Vfinal^2=Vinitial^2+2a(Xfinal-Xinitial). I converted the numbers so the answer would be in m/s^2 but that didn't work and then I tried leaving the numbers so my answer would be in km/h^2 but that didn't work either. Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2013 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is easier to work out if you work in the coordinate system of the locomotive. Therefore v starts at 66 km/hr, while d starts at -.42 km. The problem then is to end up with a final speed = 0 and a final distance = 0.

The equations:
    0 = 66 - at
    0 = -.42 +66t - at2/2

a = acceleration (I put - in the equation, a will be a positive number), t = time.

Note that the time is in hrs and the acceleration would be in km/hr2. I suggest you convert 66 to m/sec2 and use 420 m before you start.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook