1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Logarithms: ALG2 teacher say what?

1. May 13, 2008 #1
    I have these questions that are due tomorrow I am completely clueless on what my teacher is asking.

1. What is log(x), Explain.

I think that is like a parent function not sure

2.What is 10^log(10)

I know that it graphs as a straight line but thats it...

If anyone happens to recognize these please answer ASAP.

Note: if the date May, 14 2008 has passed don't bother answering.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2008 #2

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Study your textbook on the topics of exponential functions and logarithmic functions. They are inverses. Note carefully that 10^x is an exponential function. Its inverse is log(x), where the base is 10. One function will undo its inverse. This means that 10^(log(x))=x and that log(10^x)=x as long as the logarithm in these cases is 10.
  4. May 25, 2008 #3
    1. log(x) is equal to the number that you must raise 10 to in order to get x. 10^(log(x)) = x. Logarithms are exponents.

2. log(10) = 1, since 10^1 = 10. So 10^(log(10)) = 10^1, or 10.
    Last edited: May 25, 2008
  5. May 28, 2008 #4
    Logarithms are not exponents! They are the inverse of exponents (huge difference!).

Basically, if [tex]y = \log_{a}(x)[/tex], then [tex]x = a^y[/tex]

Just like, if [tex]y = x^2[/tex], then [tex]x = \pm \sqrt{y}[/tex]
  6. May 28, 2008 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Nick89, logarithms are exponents.

They are the inverse of exponential functions and there is a huge difference between "exponential functions" and exponents.

As you say, if y= loga(x), then x= ay. y, the logarithm is an exponent!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?