Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Logic operations and binary operations

1. Oct 8, 2015 #1
    If the binary operation of addition is theoretically connected with logic operation XOR, and if the binary operation of multiplication is theoretically connected with logic operation AND, so, the logic operation OR is connected with what binary operation? Exist some relationship?

Another question: the binary operation of subtraction and division are connected with some elementary logic operation or don't exist correspondent?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2015 #2

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Subtraction A-B may be seen as A XOR (NotB), I think. But there is no full correspondence that I am aware of. This seems like it may be dealt with in the area of Boolean algebras. Maybe you can use the correspondence to figure out the answer.

4. Oct 8, 2015 #3
    OR is an add with no carry, XOR is subtraction, AND is multiply with no carry.

5. Oct 8, 2015 #4
  6. Oct 11, 2015 #5
  7. Oct 11, 2015 #6

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are some database operations that mimic some of the logical and arithmetic operations, including, to my surprise, an operation of division on data tables.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook