This is a logic problem about tennis.

In summary: So, who won the last game?The player who won is the player winning each of the 5 games she did not serve?No, that is not correct. As stated previously, in tennis, one player serves and the other receives in each game. Five games were won by the receiver in that game. Some of these may have been won by Pat, the rest by Stacy.
haruspex said:
Yes, you got it right, but having reached this point for case 2

you can solve for those two variables and discover an impossibility.
because ##P_r## cannot be 7/2 ? Also, in retrospect, I never thought that I need to set up an equation to work on this problem so are there problems that does not need setting up equations? thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Terrell said:
because ##P_r## cannot be 7/2 ? Also, in retrospect, I never thought that I need to set up an equation to work on this problem so are there problems that does not need setting up equations? thank you!
Equations are just a convenient way of expressing reasoning. The Ancient Greeks managed without. Whether it is worth encoding a problem as equations depends on how succinct the notation is and how complex the problem.

Likes Terrell
Terrell said:
Also, in retrospect, I never thought that I need to set up an equation to work on this problem so are there problems that does not need setting up equations? thank you!
This can be done logically. If Pat wins on Stacy's serve and Stacy win's on Pat serve, then the set's game score is the same as if Pat won on her serve and Stacy won on her serve. The key factor is how many times Pat won on Stacy's serve minus how many times Stacy won on Pat's serve. Assume game score is even and equal to the number of times Stacy won at some point in the set. Consider the case where the game score is Pat 4, Stacy 4, and that Pat wins the last two games, the set ends up Pat 6, Stacy 4 regardless of who served first. Now consider the case where the game score is Pat 3, Stacy 3, and that Pat wins the last three games. If Stacy served first, then Pat won both times Stacy served in the last 3 games with Pat winning on Stacy's serve 2 more times than Stacy won on Pat's serve, but 5 can't be split up so that the difference equals 2. If Pat served first, then Pat only won once on Stacy's serve in the last 3 games, Pat winning on Stacy's serve 1 more time than Stacy won on Pat's serve, and 5 can be split up so the difference equals 1, specifically 3 - 2 = 1.

In tennis when a player wins when the other serves it's called a "break".
A list of possible outcomes for a set won when the winner wins their 6th game:

6 4 => +1 break, doesn't mater who served first
6 3 => +1 break if winner served first, +2 breaks if loser served first
6 2 => +2 breaks, doesn't matter who served first
6 1 => +2 breaks if winner served first, +3 breaks if loser served first
6 0 => +3 breaks, doesn't matter who served first

Last edited:
Likes Terrell